A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Service Rifle » AR buffer spring detent issue...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AR buffer spring detent issue...
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just assembled an AR15 for my youngest son (purchased in parts over the last 1 1/2 years just in case Hitlery won), and everything went together great.

When I pull back the charger handle to cycle it to assure it moves properly... Then let it go back forward, it made an awful sound and the bolt was stuck.

When I open the receiver, the buffer flys out, and the detent is out, and down by the trigger, and the little detent spring is wedged between the BCG and the upper receiver, all mangled up!

What happened?

Luckily I had an oops kit for a spare spring.

--------------------
"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at itís worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)

Posts: 815 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The buffer tube was not threaded in far enough when it was going together, or there is something buggered on the little front shape of it. Another possibility is the hole is warbled out, normally that is a 1/4" hole, and if it is too large, you can fill it with JB weld and re-drill it since it's not a stress part.

--------------------
Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.

Posts: 6705 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I will try screwing in the buffer tube more. Nice thing about having multiple identical rifles... Is you can compare how things look on another one!

--------------------
"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at itís worst, an intolerable one."

Posts: 815 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

quote:
Originally posted by Huskerpatriot:
Thanks. I will try screwing in the buffer tube more. Nice thing about having multiple identical rifles... Is you can compare how things look on another one!

Since the rifle is all new parts, I can't see it being that the hole is misshapen.

--------------------

Pericles
Member # 4003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pericles   Author's Homepage   Email Pericles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A part is out of spec. When you close the upper, the rear of the bolt carrier should be in contact with the buffer. The only time the buffer should be against the buffer retaining pin, is when the upper is opened.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson

www.dallascitytroop.org

Posts: 951 | From: TX - DAL | Registered: Sep 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

So I threaded in the buffer tube further, all the way till it is just to the pin... when I cycle the BCG, then pull the trigger...

Whacko! Buffer Retainer pin and spring fly out... pin is loose down by the trigger, and spring is wedged in BCG!

Grrr!

--------------------

Rudy
Moderator NCO Contributor
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudy   Author's Homepage   Email Rudy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Husker, Did you get this resolved?

--------------------
Rudy out
"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is no longer our friend."

Posts: 2105 | From: 43BN-37FF | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Yup... buffer tube was simply not in far enough... rather simple mistake that will not happen again now that I know what I'm doing!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.