A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Ammunition » .223/5.56 Recipes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: .223/5.56 Recipes
K.A. Jones
Member # 4385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K.A. Jones   Email K.A. Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all, thought I would post a decent recipe that I use in my AR's. If anyone else has some tried and true recipes please share!

Case length: 1.75
OAL: 2.23
Bullet: 55gr FMJBT with cannelure
Brass: Commercial; Remington, Winchester, PPU, PMC, Hornady, ETC
Powder: 25.0 gr of AA2230
Primer: Wolf small rifle magnum

I load this with a slight crimp. I don't have a chronograph but a friend with one says that they push around 3000 fps.

--------------------
I'm Dr. Rockso the rock and roll clown!

Posts: 22 | From: The Sovereign State of Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottAR556
Member # 4166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottAR556   Email ScottAR556   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the same powder, but loaded with 26.0 grains.
I get around 3050-3070fps with a 14.5" or 16" barrel.

AA2460 will give around the same figures.

Regards,

Scott

Posts: 66 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Apr 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
K.A. Jones
Member # 4385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K.A. Jones   Email K.A. Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was done out of a 20 inch that could account for some of the speed.

--------------------
I'm Dr. Rockso the rock and roll clown!

Posts: 22 | From: The Sovereign State of Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottAR556
Member # 4166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottAR556   Email ScottAR556   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by K.A. Jones:
Mine was done out of a 20 inch that could account for some of the speed.

Possibly. With my loads, I get around 3300-3350 out of a
20" barrel. I can get over 3400 out of a 24".

Posts: 66 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Apr 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Merk
Member # 3981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been enjoying loads with Ramshot TAC powder pushing 69 gr Nosler BTHP. I don't have a chrono but following their load guide it feels pretty hot and accuracy is good.

--------------------
"The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness." -Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 178 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jul 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudy
Moderator NCO Contributor
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudy   Author's Homepage   Email Rudy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you could beat the price of AA powders. I bought them for $8 a pound up until about 2 years ago. I still have 50# left of 2230.

It's not as clean burning as some other powders, but it is cost effective.

--------------------
Rudy out
"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is no longer our friend."

Posts: 2113 | From: 43BN-37FF | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
montanapatriot
Member # 4247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for montanapatriot   Email montanapatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ramshot tac 25.3 grains with a 69 grain OTM
Posts: 26 | From: Great Falls Montana | Registered: Jun 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
K.A. Jones
Member # 4385

Wideners.com is showing Wolf small rifle and small rifle magnum primers in stock again. Same with AA2230 and 55 gr bullets. Sorry no hodgdon 335.
jdog
Member # 4101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdog   Email jdog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it should be noted here that each rifle is different and whats safe in one might not be in another. use others recipes at your own risk.

--------------------
Things will either go to shit or they wont, thats all there is to it.

Posts: 77 | From: southeast minnesota | Registered: Apr 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
stanprophet
Member # 4084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanprophet   Author's Homepage   Email stanprophet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Defensive Load:

OAL: 2.260
Bullet: 77gr Sierra Match King w/cannular
Brass: Commercial; Remington, Winchester, PPU, PMC, Hornady, LC
Powder: 22.5 gr of Benchmark
Primer: CCI #41 5.56mm Primers

Plinking round:

OAL: 2.220
Bullet: 55gr Hornady FMJ w/cannular
Brass: Commercial; Remington, Winchester, PPU, PMC, Hornady, LC
Powder: 24.0, or 25.0 gr of Benchmark (25.0 good backup for SHTF ammo) Close to m193 but just a hair slower
Primer: CCI #41 5.56mm Primers

Posts: 177 | From: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
BCirregular
Member # 4901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCirregular   Email BCirregular   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BLC-2 works very good in my rifle, very clean. My second choice would be AA2230
Posts: 15 | From: KY | Registered: Mar 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.