A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Ammunition » Igman 5.56x45 ammo from Bosnia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Igman 5.56x45 ammo from Bosnia
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was curious if any members have any experience with this Bosnian manufacturer. They were started in the 1950s as part of Tito's defence plans. From his partisan days, he knew that a large ammo plant in a major industrial city would be an easy target.

His solution was to have multiple regional facilities in off the beaten path places. Igman was built inside a mountain outside Sarajevo.

Their ammo is all brass with boxer primers. I read some forum posts from 4-5 years ago that the flash holes in the primer chamber are smaller than most US manufacturers. Many reported that using standard decappers resulted in many broken dies, and frustrated reloaders. Some suggested this could be avoided by using a "universal decapper"... Others stated that newer runs of ammo don't have this problem.

Any feedback from you members?

I picked up a 200 round pack at Freedom Munitions for $66... Free shipping for first time customers.

--------------------
"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at itís worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)

Posts: 860 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce
Administrator Officer Contributor

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't but I did a quick Google search and found people selling pallets of this ammo, manufactured in 2013. It's NATO specs, which suggests the problem may have been fixed, but I know nothing about their quality control. Any idea how old your ammo is?

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 18046 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The site doesn't say... They do buy back the brass for in store credit... And they sell re manufactured ammo, so they must be OK with re-loading it.

When it arrives I'll let you guys know.

--------------------
"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at itís worst, an intolerable one."

Posts: 860 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Just received the ammo. They are loosely packed in small squarish plain white cardboard boxes of 20 rounds. The plain label (black ink on white sticker) "20 cartridges cal. 5.56x45mm FMJ M193 55 gr lot 08 IK 13"

The head stamp on the casing says "5.56x45 IK 13"

So these are pretty new, 2013! I was under the understanding that to call it M193 it had to be mil spec. If it failed to meet mil specs, it is called XM193.

This 200 rounds of brass cased boxer primed mill spec ammo $66 . I'll have to report on how it shoots later.

--------------------

airforce
Administrator Officer Contributor

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For these days, that's a darn good price. Let us know how it shoots.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 18046 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

One last observation... Around the primer there is a red lacquer for sealing the primer in the pocket. Not sure if this is standard.

I only purchased 200 rounds to first see how it shoots, but they do have it for even cheaper by the 1000 round case, as well as by the pallet.

--------------------

Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The red laquer is NATO spec, it is to waterproof the primer area ad show that the round is not a reload or at least had been done at a factory.

--------------------
Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.

Posts: 6705 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.