A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Ammunition » New X-fire Design

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New X-fire Design
Member # 4032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.56   Email 5.56   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks,

The recent state of affairs is forcing me to accelerate my designs abet. The preliminary R&D on our .308 X-Fire is in.
I will be making a second heavier bullet soon.

90 GR .308 X-fire shot in a win Model 70 target rifle with target aperture sights front and rear 50 yards. Outside of the hole measurement for 4 shots was 5/8". This was with iron sights.

Muzzle velocity was 3210 FPS. I believe with the next powder test we will in excess of 3400 FPS with the .308. I am basically creating the load data for our bullet. There were no pressure signs on the brass or primer at the current loading.

The next bullet will be in the 175 grain range plus or minus. It will depend on what the weight comes in at when machined.

The X-Fire rifle round will enter the target open to 1 1/2" then shear the petals off which each petal will move forward and out. The core will continue punching in. It looks like the initial tests will put the wound track between 6" to 10" across the spread of the petals.

I believe I can design the heavier bullet with our loading to maintain super sonic at 1,000 yards with sufficient velocity to have the bullet open and perform as intended.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Dec 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
tire iron

Member # 155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tire iron   Email tire iron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you and your ammo going to be at SHOT this year? If yes - what booth?

cheers

tire iron

--------------------
An amateur practices something until he gets it right - a pro practices something until he can't do it wrong.
My Schools: http://www.acpsllc.com
http://utahguntraining.com
Utah Gun Training

Posts: 3425 | From: utah | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mexneck
NCO Contributor
Member # 14554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mexneck   Author's Homepage   Email Mexneck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It looks like the initial tests will put the wound track between 6" to 10" across the spread of the petals."
That's great for soft targets. Any information as to bullet reaction to barriers of different materials and thickness?

--------------------
Well, this is it.

Posts: 358 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Oct 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.56   Email 5.56   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bullet will not open in hard material. It will strike as a solid projectile until it gets something with fluid into the hollow cavity where hydraulics take over.
It will not act as a AP round, its content is completely 110 copper. The round will not shatter due to being copper. But it will tear petals off if they are opened. Meaning it will punch like a FMJ until it hits fluid.

I will not be at the shot show.

Member # 4032

Folks,
The tool path is done. I have the first prototypes run. They have not been tested yet. I have a 175.96 grain .308 X-Fire.
It is 1.32" long. I will be running some samples tomorrow to get them ready for test firing. I am looking to get them in the .308, 300 win mag and 300 blackout.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.