A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Ammunition » Reloading .22 Ammo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reloading .22 Ammo
airforce
Administrator Officer Contributor

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you can now do it. You'll need to buy a few things, which comes to about $200 if you count the gunpowder you'll have to get, but it can be done.

Personally, I have more than enough 22LR to last me for the rest of my life, and I'm just not inclined to spend this much effort to same about a nickel a round. But if you're fearing a zombie apocalypse or a certain election, this may be something worth looking into.

Here's some videos demonstrating the kit. They even show you how to reload with strike-anywhere matches.

If you use this kit, let us know how it went.

Onward and upward,
airforce

[ 08-02-2016, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: airforce ]

Posts: 18046 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess in the world of $8 per box .22lr it is worth some people's time. I hear crazy prices out of parts of Europe, like three boxes for 50 Euro among those who can't easily get it.

Personally, I see a crossover point where airsoft guns make a lot of sense for training and practice while high powered airguns make sense for small game foraging. A lot of big bore airguns now make sense for deer and feral hogs out in the brush country and cornfields.

--------------------
Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.

Posts: 6705 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For many years now I've hunted rabbits and squirrels with air rifles. I think it's more fun, and having to make that first shot count makes you concentrate more on marksmanship.

I figure it will take about 4000 - 5000 rounds before the kit pays for itself, and the process of reloading them is pretty tedious, so I just don't see a lot of people using this regularly. But a group of survivalists would probably do well to invest in one of these kits.

If I'm not careful, I may talk myself into buying one, just in case. [Wink]

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 18046 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got word recently that sporting goods stores in California have .22lr on the shelf in quantity - at $10-$15 per box. Bricks of 500 rounds for $99 at Big-5...

I am not joking.

--------------------

Posts: 6705 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

It wasn't that long ago I could buy milsurp .308 for about that much. Times change.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Breacher
Member # 1119

Air gun technology is getting better. New bb pistols which basically are beefed up air soft gun designs, higher cost, more metal, do a halfway decent job of simulating recoil, lower risk on the range if you are doing tactical maneuvers and someone makes a mistake. Sit has a new MPX kind of AR style air gun out but I have yet to see one in person. Supposedly it simulates recoil and is geared toward a new type of tactical competition shooting that they are promoting.

I was checking out a new SIg p226 air gun, nice except that it had 1911 style controls, not the traditional decocker. The seller also had a 1911 bob gun with roughly the heft of an aluminum frame 1911. Magazine and controls worked the same exact way as a regular 1911. Build quality and function being very similar to a higher end air soft.

--------------------

airforce

Member # 523

I've been a fan of break-barrel air rifles for quite a while now. I liked them on the trapline because they make less noise than a .22LR, an important consideration when checking traps at night. And, as i stated above, I like hunting rabbits and squirrels for sport (and food, of course).

A good air rifle is more expensive than a decent .22 rifle, but the ammo has always been cheaper. And these days, a lot cheaper. As far as I'm concerned, every survivalist should have one or two air rifles in his arsenal.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Breacher
Member # 1119

I have a matching pair of single shot air rifles that were intended to be porch guns for the survival cabin. The idea was to have two shots ready to go for the occasional stew meat that shows up to raid the garden. If some jerk got a hold of them when I was away from the cabin with the bright idea of using them on me when I got home, I would be in less danger than if he he got his hands on a .22. So the airguns would left ready to fire at all times. I bought a pair that were specifically engineered to maintain power when left cocked and ready to go.

--------------------

Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one of these high powered break action air rifles... Love it. The only problem is the cheapo scope never holds a zero more than 5-6 shots! Probably not mounted correctly.

--------------------
"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it’s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)

Posts: 860 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

Everyone I know who has a scope on their air rifle has the same problem. I don't know, but I think just the action of cocking the rifle throws it off.

But, you should also know the barrel of an air rifle gets hot, just like any other rifle, and a hot barrel will shoot differently than a cold barrel. On one of my rifles, it tends to shoot a little lower when it gets hot; on another, it shoots lower and to the left. On a .22LR, the change is barely noticeable, but the air rifle ammo is a lot lighter than the .22 bullet and so it affects it a little more.

When you're hunting, the barrel cools off between shots, so it isn't a problem. But if you're shooting targets, the only thing you can do is learn how it affects your rifle.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Breacher
Member # 1119

Airgun recoil punishes scopes even worse than a .308 because it is sharp and goes in both directions. At least that's what I hear. The gas piston airguns seem to mitigate that, and the ones with the onboard gas tank are pretty much recoiless.

--------------------

Archangel1
NCO Contributor
Member # 12498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archangel1   Email Archangel1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which models of air rifle would you recommend today? I have been looking at them for over a year but can't decide on which one to buy. Also can't decide between .177 and .22.

My friends and I had Crossman, Sheridan and I think Benjamin air rifles when we were teenagers. Birds and squirrels mainly.

Which model of scope holds zero with the break action pump rifles? The one I had, not so much.

--------------------
"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always Bad Men." Lord Actin 1887

I fear we live in evil times...

Posts: 737 | From: West | Registered: Feb 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

I've had RWS Diana Model 34 air rifles in both .177 and .22 for over 20 years, and a couple Gamo air rifles that are nearly as old. I'm happy with all of them still, though I suppose I prefer the Dianas. I also have a couple old Made-in-China-by-slave-labor cheap gun show air rifles, that I keep for trading or bartering stock. You never know. [Wink]

I've never used a scope on an air rifle or a .22LR, because it just seems like one more thing to break. But all air rifles with repeated use in a short period of time will get hot and lose their zero. The only solution is to note which way your particular rifle drifts after a few shots. When your hunting, there is usually enough time lapse between shots so it's not a problem.

I think I paid about $100 each for my Dianas. But that was a while ago, and they're now selling for almost three times that much. I'm sure you can get a decent .22LR for less than that, but you should make up for it in ammo prices over time. Plus it's quieter, which is often a consideration.

Spend a few bucks on one of those maintenance and cleaning kits, and your grandkids will be shooting it. Trust me.

With that said, it's been a while since I checked out some of the newer ones. There may well be better ones on the market now.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.