A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Ammunition » Newbie to reloading advise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newbie to reloading advise
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up reloading a LOT of shotgun ammo on a Hornady progressive press, but never did rifle/pistol. For preparing self reliance reasoning I have always thought it would be wise to have the equipment, practice/experience and supplies to be able to punch out some of my own rounds. A great "barter skill" for SHTF scenarios.

It looks like a single stage would be tedious and take forever. Don't think I have need for the high volume and expense of a progressive rig though. A Turret Press like Lee makes sounds like a good compromise IMHO.

Any experience or suggestions?

I'd be looking to start with just don't no .303 and 5.56, maybe adding 9mm and eventually .380 to cover all my calibers.

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it’s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)

Posts: 841 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
Administrator Officer Contributor

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used a cheap single-stage Lee loader for years. It is tedious, but once you get the hang of it you can put out 75 or so rounds an hour. I did finally go to a turret press, but I still have that Lee loader. I think it was originally my grandpa's, but I'm not sure.

You can usually find reloading supplies and equipment at the larger gun shows. See if you can find a used one, you can probably save a little money.

Onward and upward,

Posts: 17689 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.