A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Ammunition » Newbie to reloading advise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newbie to reloading advise
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up reloading a LOT of shotgun ammo on a Hornady progressive press, but never did rifle/pistol. For preparing self reliance reasoning I have always thought it would be wise to have the equipment, practice/experience and supplies to be able to punch out some of my own rounds. A great "barter skill" for SHTF scenarios.

It looks like a single stage would be tedious and take forever. Don't think I have need for the high volume and expense of a progressive rig though. A Turret Press like Lee makes sounds like a good compromise IMHO.

Any experience or suggestions?

I'd be looking to start with just don't no .303 and 5.56, maybe adding 9mm and eventually .380 to cover all my calibers.

--------------------
"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it’s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)

Posts: 807 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce
Administrator Officer Contributor

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used a cheap single-stage Lee loader for years. It is tedious, but once you get the hang of it you can put out 75 or so rounds an hour. I did finally go to a turret press, but I still have that Lee loader. I think it was originally my grandpa's, but I'm not sure.

You can usually find reloading supplies and equipment at the larger gun shows. See if you can find a used one, you can probably save a little money.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 17057 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2016 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.