A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » General Discussion » Veteran's Forum » Kennedy Lied, People Died

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kennedy Lied, People Died
airforce
Administrator Officer Contributor

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
57 years ago this week, 1400 men invaded Cuba, trying to topple Fidel Castro. Outnumbered fifteen to one, they still held out for days until they ran out of ammo.

Why did it fail?

They were betrayed by President John F. Kennedy.

quote:
..."If things get rough," the heartsick CIA man Grayston Lynch radioed back, "we can come in and evacuate you."

"We will NOT be evacuated!" San Roman roared back to his friend Lynch. "We came here to fight! We don't want evacuation! We want more ammo! We want PLANES! This ends here!"

Camelot’s criminal idiocy finally brought Adm. Arleigh Burke of the Joints Chief of Staff, who was receiving the battlefield pleas, to the brink of mutiny. Years before, Adm. Burke sailed thousands of miles to smash his nation's enemies at the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Now he was Chief of Naval Operations and stood aghast as new enemies were being given a sanctuary 90 miles away! The fighting admiral was livid. They say his face was beet red and his facial veins popping as he faced down his commander-in-chief that fateful night of April 18, 1961. "Mr. President, TWO planes from the Essex! (the U.S. Carrier just offshore from the beachhead)" that's all those Cuban boys need, Mr. President. Let me order...!"

JFK was in white tails and a bow tie that evening, having just emerged from an elegant social gathering. "Burke," he replied. "We can't get involved in this."

"WE put those Cuban boys there, Mr. President!" The fighting admiral exploded. "By God, we ARE involved!"

Admiral Burke’s pleas also proved futile.

The freedom-fighters’ spent ammo inevitably forced a retreat. Castro's jets and Sea Furies were roaming overhead at will and tens of thousands of his Soviet-led and armed troops and armor were closing in. The Castro planes now concentrated on strafing the helpless, ammo-less freedom-fighters.

"Can't continue,” Lynch's radio crackled - it was San Roman again. "Have nothing left to fight with ...out of ammo...Russian tanks in view....destroying my equipment.”

"Tears flooded my eyes," wrote Grayston Lynch. "For the first time in my 37 years I was ashamed of my country."

When the smoke cleared and their ammo had been expended to the very last bullet, when a hundred of them lay dead and hundreds more wounded, after three days of relentless battle, barely 1,400 of them -- without air support (from the U.S. Carriers just offshore) and without a single supporting shot by naval artillery (from U.S. cruisers and destroyers poised just offshore) -- had squared off against 21,000 Castro troops, his entire air force and squadrons of Soviet tanks. The Cuban freedom-fighters inflicted over 3000 casualties on their Soviet-armed and led enemies. This feat of arms still amazes professional military men.

“They fought magnificently and were not defeated,” stressed Marine Col. Jack Hawkins a multi-decorated WWII and Korea vet who helped train them. “They were abandoned on the beach without the supplies and support promised by their sponsor, the Government of the United States.”...

Read the whole thing at the link.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 17832 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmm...

I used to know an "old hippie" who stayed drunk all the time. Gave him a ride home one night. He invited me in for a drink. I was curious about several maps on his living room wall. They were detailed maps of Cuba and the Caribbean. When I asked why he was interested in Cuba he said "Because I was there". He told me the story and cussed Kennedy for abandoning the freedom fighters. Said he was on a ship off shore and they were ordered to stand down. He was still livid about it in the late 80's. What really pissed him off was the governments denial of any involvement. He dug out some old military records to back up his story so I believed him. He talked about it for hours that night.

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Posts: 15793 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've met two veterans of the invasion. Many of them joined the U.S. military after their release, and more than a few fought in Vietnam. I met one of them when both of us were stationed at Bad Tolz in Germany in the early 70's. Before we were introduced, I was warned never to mention Kennedy's name in his presence.

There is a small memorial to Brigade 2506 in Miami.

-

They deserve one in Washington. There are only a few hundred of the veterans left, and we certainly owe them something more.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 17832 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No More Castros - Coming VERY Soon

April 15th, 2018,

Raul Castro is stepping down this Thursday, something he announced back in 2013.

Cuba will cease to be ruled by a Castro this week for the first time in almost half a century, as the Caribbean island begins a new chapter in its turbulent history.

President Raul Castro, 86, will step down on Thursday after a decade in power, in a decision he announced in 2013. In a significant generational shift he is expected to hand over to Miguel Diaz-Canel - who was not even born when the Revolution begun.

A jeans-wearing former electrical engineer who bears a passing resemblance to Richard Gere, Mr Diaz-Canel, 57, is distinguished from many of the senior Communist Party officials by his youth and vigour.

A self-professed Beatles fan, he was wide-eyed with excitement to see the preparations for Cuba’s first ever major rock gig - The Rolling Stones performed in March 2016.

He will not, strictly speaking, be the first non-Castro to rule Cuba since the Revolution - Manuel Urrutia was president for the first six months of the Revolution, and Osvaldo Dorticos then ruled for 17 years, until 1976.

But even when someone else was nominally ruling, a Castro was always known to be effectively in charge.
More at the link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/cuba-prep...070000452.html

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Posts: 15793 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

He's still a commie. The people of Cuba deserve far better.

Onward and upward,
airforce

ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

quote:
On April 17, 1961, about 1,500 CIA-trained Cuban exiles launched the disastrous Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba in a failed attempt to overthrow the government of Fidel Castro. Due to the Cuba/Soviet intelligence network as well as loose talk by members of the brigade, which was repeated in US and foreign newspaper reports, the Cuban government knew, in advance, of the planned invasion. The Washington Post also reported that the Soviets knew the exact date of the attack, that the CIA was aware that they knew, and that the CIA did not inform president Kennedy.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.