A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Basic Training » Communications » Keypounder sends

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Keypounder sends
North Force
Member # 2676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for North Force   Email North Force   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good one form Keypounder posted on Brushbeaters site:

Worth the read - gets your mind working.

Keypounder sends-
https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2017/02/05/keypounder-sends/

“You are the lead station operator in the Resistance receiving station
mentioned in the first question. You have received the message sent by
the operator in the capital at 1 pm local time in the first example on
160 meters and must now forward the vital information received to
Resistance HQ via HF radio. Once you transmit this message, you will
immediately relocate to another predetermined location you have selected.

Assume the following: continued in link

--------------------
"To achieve One World Government it is necessary to remove from the minds of men their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions and national identification."
~ Brock Chisholm, when director of UN World Health Organization

Posts: 1315 | From: In the Mountains | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.56   Email 5.56   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cut your make do antennas as follows:
The operating frequency
Divided by 468

This gives you length of a half wave dipole. Take that number divide by 2, that gives you the length of each leg of the dipole.

Hang between 2 trees, lower and wrap/wind the wire up and relocate.

KB8AMF

Posts: 202 | Registered: Dec 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
Archangel1
NCO Contributor
Member # 12498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archangel1   Email Archangel1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 5.56:
Cut your make do antennas as follows:
The operating frequency
Divided by 468

This gives you length of a half wave dipole. Take that number divide by 2, that gives you the length of each leg of the dipole.

Hang between 2 trees, lower and wrap/wind the wire up and relocate.

KB8AMF

Do I understand from the 160M frequency example:

160M / 468 = .34188M

.34188M x 39 Inches/M = 13.33" or 13.33/2 = 6.7" per leg?

I don't know much about radio and want to learn more, but I would have expected that the dipole length would be longer than 6.7 inches. It seems hard to spread between two trees except by rope.

--------------------
"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always Bad Men." Lord Actin 1887

I fear we live in evil times...

Posts: 678 | From: West | Registered: Feb 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
160 meters - 1.8-2.0 Mhz

468 / 1.850Mhz = 252.97 feet

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Posts: 14307 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Archangel1
NCO Contributor
Member # 12498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archangel1   Email Archangel1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the calculation is 468 divided by MHz which gives half dipole in feet, not meters.

Each end of the antennae is 126.486 feet.

I'm a noob, but I am a collector of ideas and stuff. I need to get my HAM license, and keep putting it off. What I really need is local mentor.

Does one use a single strand conductor wire (126 feet) for each length radiating from the center? It appears that somehow those two wires would be connected to a insulated reference point and split to positive and negative leads of to what appears to be a length of double stranded cable connecting to a transceiver via a connector? Is that correct? Do I need resistors to correct for anything? How long can that two stranded cable be without causing issues? What parts and wire do I need to put away, not knowing what I will do with them yet? Better to have things and not need them, than to not have things when you do.

Be Prepared.

--------------------
"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always Bad Men." Lord Actin 1887

Posts: 678 | From: West | Registered: Feb 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
Flight-ER-Doc
Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight-ER-Doc   Email Flight-ER-Doc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archangel1:
So the calculation is 468 divided by MHz which gives half dipole in feet, not meters.

Each end of the antennae is 126.486 feet.

I'm a noob, but I am a collector of ideas and stuff. I need to get my HAM license, and keep putting it off. What I really need is local mentor.

Does one use a single strand conductor wire (126 feet) for each length radiating from the center? It appears that somehow those two wires would be connected to a insulated reference point and split to positive and negative leads of to what appears to be a length of double stranded cable connecting to a transceiver via a connector? Is that correct? Do I need resistors to correct for anything? How long can that two stranded cable be without causing issues? What parts and wire do I need to put away, not knowing what I will do with them yet? Better to have things and not need them, than to not have things when you do.

Be Prepared.

Yes, you need to get some basic education in radio communications. One way to do that is to get a ham ticket...it's really pretty easy. Hamtestsonline.com has the question pools and answers, and a short explanation of the theory. Various books and resources online explain the theory.

For antennas, the ARRL antenna book, or the USMC field antenna handbook are good resources. The USMC handbook might have enough theory to explain the antenna questions on the tech and general tests, I don't recall exactly how detailed they are (I've been an extra class for quite some time).

Other resources that may or may not help are other users of radios - Civil Air Patrol, online guides to marine radios, etc. The theory is all the same, the only differences are the frequencies and a bit of the rules.

--------------------
Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy :)

Posts: 1870 | From: Slipping the surly bonds of earth | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.56   Email 5.56   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flight-ER-Doc

Are you old school Extra? Meaning having passed the 20 WPM code or are you one of the newer extras?

Old school here, Code was easy for me. An old Call sign from many years ago: NNNO-HAT

Now-A-Days, getting a ham ticket is about as simple as it can be made. There is not much to it.
The no code license opened the door for folks.

In my best time as an operator, I could handle about 35 WPM with CW. Rusty as all get out now. I'd probably struggle with 15-20 WPM

Flight-ER-Doc
Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight-ER-Doc   Email Flight-ER-Doc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
20WPM....Although I don't think I could do it now.

I had a friend (long since deceased) who had a 1st class telegraphers ticket....even in his 80's he could carry on a conversation with CW going in the background, and after awhile he would get a pad and start writing - all while carrying on the conversation. He said his top speed was around 50 WPM, when he was young.

--------------------

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

Posts: 1870 | From: Slipping the surly bonds of earth | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Archangel1
NCO Contributor
Member # 12498

Thanks for the suggestion.

Went to the Hamtestsonline.com site and looked at the FAQ section. What do you know, the antennae length question in feet was an example Length (feet) = 468/(wavelength in MHz)of a math question.

I keep putting off the inevitable.

--------------------

Member # 4032

Glad you are locating what you need. You now have your path marked. It is up to you to go down it.

Flight
Doc
The above call sign was when I was still doing
Navy/Marine M.A.R.S. work. Sigh, that was again back when Moby Dick was a minnow! LOL

Archangel1
NCO Contributor
Member # 12498

is the technician license enough for a person that does not expect to be a comms expert?

--------------------

Flight-ER-Doc
Member # 2540

quote:
Originally posted by Archangel1:
is the technician license enough for a person that does not expect to be a comms expert?

Sure. But as a VE, I've always encouraged people who just passed the tech ticket to at least try for the general: Most pass (around 70%) it too, without studying anything else. And since it doesn't cost any more to take the extra test, why not?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2016 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.