For God, For Life, For Liberty, For Property.

A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Basic Training » Communications » Handheld radio shopping input.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Handheld radio shopping input.
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone familiar with this rig?

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/1656.html

Alinco DJ 500t, for around $100 or so depending on vendors and what accessories are included.

Looking for something that is better than a baofeng... but not the high dollar Yaesu and the likes. Middle of the range so to speak. Looking for the most bang for my buck.

[ 04-08-2017, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Huskerpatriot ]

--------------------
"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at itís worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)

Posts: 794 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decent rig especially for the price.

But you might want to take a look at this.

Anytone AT-3318UV-D

Can work as a cross band repeater and has AM broadcast as well as shortwave receive.

Anytone builds a lot of Alinco's radios now.

[ 04-08-2017, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: ConSigCor ]

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Posts: 14902 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Etech
Moderator NCO Contributor
Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etech   Email Etech   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CSC links to a fairly nice radio, yes more $$$ but also more features and quality.
Cross Band repeat might prove extremely useful in some applications. While the radio "could" link say the FRS and MURS bands it is not legal. Not a big deal (legal), wise use should be limited to areas not in proximity to the general public.

Another useful feature is one that several radios have, but most radio operators never use
quote:
199 Channels with Alpha Tags
At the time of the standoff in Oregon some pictures were published of the operators with Baofeng clipped to the chest rig -- operating frequency displayed. Not a wise choice to give away 'any' information. In an actual operation your radios should be programmed to display a simple - TAC1, TAC2, TAC?
I'd go one step further and suggest a person with knowledge (and tools to program) be appointed as "Comm Officer" programming any operational radios. NO - the list should NOT be available to those not directly "Needing to know" nor would the frequencies ever be mentioned over the air or telephone.

Posts: 553 | From: KC metro | Registered: Jun 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Flight-ER-Doc
Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight-ER-Doc   Email Flight-ER-Doc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, frequencies are easily determined with inexpensive and easy to use equipment. Handheld frequency counters, or even $25 SDR receivers plugged into a laptop.

--------------------
Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy :)

Posts: 1908 | From: Slipping the surly bonds of earth | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice. I a just configuring my radio bags with lower end equipment to complete the kits first, then once I get the kits sorted out with batteries antennas and cables that will work with those applications, then upgrade radios later.

In the realm of Baofeng is the Juentai 6188 and a few upgrade versions which mainly intended as vehicle mount radios pushing 25 watts. Something to look out for them is they get physically hot, which is an issue if used inside a nylon/foam type carry bag. There are a couple of 10 watt radios which have decent features but don't get as hot. I recently switched one of those downgrade radios into a bag radio kit that stays in a bugout vehicle.

This stuff is still pretty complex for me to deal with but I am slowly getting it.

[ 04-09-2017, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Breacher ]

--------------------
Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.

Posts: 6705 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read some of the stuff you've talked about on the manpack radio issue. Sounds really cool. Any pictures you could share?

--------------------
"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at itís worst, an intolerable one."

Posts: 794 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few versions of the base model on my YouTube channel, survivaltechnord is working on a more advanced setup. Right now I am trying to organize the "black bag" layout sets of urban stuff which is primarily civilian in appearance, but it's lower end and relatively untested gear, nothing to brag about but if you pm me some contact info again I can send a few pictures.

--------------------
Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.

Posts: 6705 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Your PM box is full breacher...

[ 04-10-2017, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Huskerpatriot ]

--------------------

bountyhunter26
Member # 4658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bountyhunter26   Author's Homepage   Email bountyhunter26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use primarily the YAESU FT270 and the FT60. The 270 is a 2m only opened up to utilize MURS. The 60 is also opened up to utilize MURS and it is 70cm capable as well. I have 3 Baofeng UV-B5 radios which doesn't really hold up well with hard use and rigorous training. So now I have 3 $40 paper weights. If you are buying any radio buy QUALITY, like YAESU, ALINCO, ICOM,MOTOROLA etc. The Baofengs are a good introductory radio but I wouldn't bet my life on them.
Just my .02

--------------------
Watch your six!!

Posts: 31 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Husker,

I had specific reasons for recommending the Anytone.

Yes, it's built in China, but their build quality is good enough that they now manufacture several of Alinco's radios. So, they're a decent rig...not a mil spec Moto but good enough to do the job.

Also, remember that listening is THE most important facet of emergency communications. The Anytone will cover a huge chunk of the radio spectrum. ...just like the Much more expensive Kenwood TF-6 or Yaesu VX8R. It also has a very wide transmit coverage right out of the box.

The mobile 25 watt radios Breacher mentions will reach out a little farther (maybe) than the ANYtone; but, they will use a lot more power requiring bigger and heavier battery packs. They're better used in a mobile or base configuration.

You would be better off using a more effective antenna if you need more range. IE: if you just got to reach out and touch someone...climb up a hill and use a small portable beam aimed at the intended target. When it comes to range the antenna is much more important than raw horsepower.

[ 04-20-2017, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: ConSigCor ]

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Posts: 14902 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2016 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.