For God, For Life, For Liberty, For Property.

A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Basic Training » Communications » Digital Field Day on the Baltic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Digital Field Day on the Baltic
Etech
Moderator NCO Contributor
Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etech   Email Etech   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From our friend in the northern latitudes OH8STN - http://oh8stn.org/blog/2017/06/24/fsq-digital-field-day-on-the-baltic-2017/

Here is a paste on FSQ that should garner attention
quote:
FSQ for Effective field comms: In my opinion FSQ was the hero of the day. I should seriously start to consider producing a video for this mode on the channel. Although it has similarities to Olivia, the other features it incorporates makes it act more like a system than a mode.
– One of the useful features for a field operator, is the ability to ask other stations for my signal report, without its operator having to lift a finger.
– Another useful feature is asking a remote station what stations it can hear, then allowing me to route through the station I can hear, to the station’s I can’t hear.
– The mode also gives you the ability to send images, files, chat with a group of users, or just one, …If you haven’t figured it out by now, FSQ is an amazing mode for those of us who are using amateur radio as a utility. You can think of FSQ in terms of Skype or the old icq type Chat systems. By itself it is a social media platform for amateur radio.

Actually all his info posted is worthwhile reading, especially for those new to radio. I have previously written about FSQ so look through the old posts here for some info. For the advanced user, it is possible to "link" FSQ-VHF to FSQ-HF. Allowing the small listening post operation to jump VHF to a secondary location then jump via HF to HHQ 100 miles away using NVIS. Relay can go through multiple stations, jumping one to another as listed in the command. There has been effort to port the program to Android but it has been quite a while since I've run across any more info. There was a group building a weather station interface using FSQ, it is good at sending small blocks of data as well as pictures.
Posts: 570 | From: KC metro | Registered: Jun 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 2 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imagine if you woke up one morning and there was No internet, no cell phone, no electricity etc. NADA

What would you do then? Most of you would do without. But, it doesn't have to be that way if you build your own self sufficient infrastructure NOW; before a grid down event craps on your parade.

FSQ is an essential piece of the puzzle we need to be putting together.

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Posts: 15159 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Archangel1
NCO Contributor
Member # 12498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archangel1   Email Archangel1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is a short list of inexpensive but reliable hardware to: 1) listen and 2) receive/transmit to the FSQ and other key wavelengths with a tech license.

I own some, but an inexpensive listening station with transmit capabilities might be a good investment.

--------------------
"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always Bad Men." Lord Actin 1887

I fear we live in evil times...

Posts: 731 | From: West | Registered: Feb 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
Etech
Moderator NCO Contributor
Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etech   Email Etech   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Archangel1,

Link to the original post about FSQ http://www.awrm.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000444

In MO the KC area is using both HF and VHF with a few of us also using 6M FM FSQ. Having the Tech license would (legally) allow use of VHF/UHF radios, BAOFENG works fine, with proper cables.

One needs a PC, the software can be FSQcall or a current version of Fldigi. A Signalink interfaces the PC to radio.

Tech license on HF is only legal for partial 10 meter band, lower bands are CW mode only. Of course listening is no problem, any HF radio capable of SSB operation should work fine.

Posts: 570 | From: KC metro | Registered: Jun 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2016 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.