A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Front Office » AWRM Announcements » Well, that sucks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Well, that sucks
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several of you will probably notice that your avatar has been replaced by a lame advertisement.

It seems photobucket has decided they want to make more money. They want me to upgrade to a paid "premium" account to continue to share photos. One of the guys over at assault web was complaining about this the other day but I didn't think too much about it until now. If I can't resolve this issue I may "upgrade" photobucket to NO account.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Posts: 14806 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce
Administrator Officer Contributor

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$100 a year seems awfully danged expensive. Do we have any alternatives?

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 16767 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not just me.

http://www.assaultweb.net/Forums/showthread.php?t=168563

The 'bucket' was great for many years but went to crap after being bought out by a much larger company.

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Posts: 14806 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawk45
MODERATOR Officer Contributor
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawk45   Email Hawk45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are griping about it loudly on Falfiles and the AK Forum as well.

On the AK Forum they are talking about a couple of other options that are still free or very reasonable.

Posts: 2521 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
jhnc
Member # 24375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jhnc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't tried it myself, but if you have a Google account, you may be able to use Google drive to host pictures.
Posts: 4 | From: NC | Registered: Jul 2015  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk45:
They are griping about it loudly on Falfiles and the AK Forum as well.

On the AK Forum they are talking about a couple of other options that are still free or very reasonable.

What options? Got a link?

--------------------

ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Photobucket Breaks Image Links Across the Internet
Want embedded Photobucket images to continue loading in forums or on your website? Be prepared to pay $399 per year.

By Matthew Humphries
June 30, 2017

Embedding images on a website or in a forum post is a very common practice, with those images usually living on one of the many well-known image hosting websites. One such host is Photobucket, but a recent change to its subscription tiers means many millions of images across the Internet are no longer going to load outside of Photobucket's own site.

The key feature of a Photobucket account we're talking about here is called "3rd Party Hosting." It allows you to embed images from Photobucket in another location on the Internet, e.g. in a forum post or on a website.

As Norvic Philatelics discovered, Photobucket changed its terms and conditions and removed the 3rd Party Hosting feature from the lower subscription tiers. If you want to continue using that feature then a Photobucket Plus 500 subscription is required. It costs $39.99 per month or $399 per year.

Not only is that very expensive, it means existing Photobucket accounts on lower subscriptions tiers will have any embedded images they've created in the past cease to work. Considering Photobucket has been around since 2003 and hosts over 10 billion images, that's potentially millions of embedded images across the Internet being broken thanks to a policy change. Here's just one example of how this change impacts a forum thread.

The worst part of this debacle, according to Ghacks.net, is the fact Photobucket users were apparently given no warning of the change. The subscription features simply changed, and images stopped loading without explanation.

There's hope this is a mistake, or that Photobucket's management will realize the scale of the problem they have created with this change. But if that doesn't happen, expect to see that Photobucket broken link image above many times in the coming months.

--------------------

airforce

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang, you're right. You do need the $400/year plan for third party hosting. I thought it was only $100, and that was too high. Wow.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 16767 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Archangel1
NCO Contributor
Member # 12498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archangel1   Email Archangel1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if Photobucket will survive. Then again, they are looking to monetize 10 billion images and there efforts could generate considerable income from a much reduced number of users.

--------------------
"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always Bad Men." Lord Actin 1887

I fear we live in evil times...

Posts: 714 | From: West | Registered: Feb 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

If they survive, it won't be because of anything I do.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2016 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.