A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Gunsmithing » what parts interchange between mid length and carbine length gas systems on an AR15?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what parts interchange between mid length and carbine length gas systems on an AR15?
JWF
Member # 31629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JWF   Email JWF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im kind of anal about spare parts and ive got only carbines right now but im thinking about getting a mid length set up ...what parts are not universal between the two systems? barrels and gas tubes are not but what about bolts, bcgs and buffers?

--------------------
N/A

Posts: 43 | From: Oregon | Registered: May 2017  | Report this post to a Moderator
Flight-ER-Doc
Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight-ER-Doc   Email Flight-ER-Doc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bolts and BCG's are, buffers are not.

--------------------
Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy :)

Posts: 1913 | From: Slipping the surly bonds of earth | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Archangel1
NCO Contributor
Member # 12498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archangel1   Email Archangel1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had no reliability issues using standard mil spec carbine buffers and springs with a mid-length barrel system. No fancy buffers, springs or adjustable gas blocks needed either. Rifle buffers and springs should be different.

I used an Adams rifle gas-length piston upper with a carbine lower without issues as well. Not sure about the piston upper. Shoots really soft but accurate enough. Figured it might work for a small women or teenager who are learning to shoot something more than a 22. No major issues with reliability, although I never put enough rounds down range at one time to determine MTBF.

--------------------
"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always Bad Men." Lord Actin 1887

I fear we live in evil times...

Posts: 727 | From: West | Registered: Feb 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
JWF
Member # 31629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JWF   Email JWF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do mid length gas tubes interchange between brands or are they proprietary?

[ 07-28-2017, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: JWF ]

--------------------
N/A

Posts: 43 | From: Oregon | Registered: May 2017  | Report this post to a Moderator
Archangel1
NCO Contributor
Member # 12498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archangel1   Email Archangel1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coatings aside for some brands, I am not aware of proprietary differences between brands. One end fits into the gas block and one end fits into the BCG's gas key so length and tip design should be consistent. I chose not to use more expensive, specially-coated tubes.

--------------------
"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always Bad Men." Lord Actin 1887

Posts: 727 | From: West | Registered: Feb 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
JWF
Member # 31629

so an h2 buffer for my carbine is diffrent then one that goes in a midlength?

--------------------
N/A

D308cat
NCO Contributor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D308cat   Author's Homepage   Email D308cat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have standard Carbine buffer and buffer tube on both my mid lengths and my government profile 20, with telescoping stocks, all with M-16 carriers, No problems at all !

[ 08-16-2017, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: D308cat ]

--------------------
PSALM 144:01 Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle---

Posts: 715 | From: High Desert | Registered: Nov 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Archangel1
NCO Contributor
Member # 12498

quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
so an h2 buffer for my carbine is diffrent then one that goes in a midlength?

I used standard carbine buffers with my midlength upper with no issue. You will have to test the H2 buffer with your rifle to make sure that it operates with all ammunition.

I primarily buy Lake City 5.56 55 gr. ammo for consistency, but have some 75 and 77 gr. ammo, and some .223 55 gr. ammo around in case a .223-only rifle surfaces(Winchester, Fiocchi and PMC) and none of them have caused issues.

I have never run TULA steel case which is supposedly underpowered, so that would be something to test, and especially to let the upper run dirty.

--------------------

Rudy
Moderator NCO Contributor
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudy   Author's Homepage   Email Rudy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The buffer used will depend on the stock, not the barrel.

I have 2 carbines that are piston driven. The select fire one has an H2 buffer. that and the piston have caused the rate of fire to drop from 725 to 650. I much prefer the slower rate.

I took a tactical class for the carbine. At the close ranges of 25 - 35 yards I was always able to keep a 3-round burst on the steel targets must to the amazement of the instructors.

--------------------
Rudy out
"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is no longer our friend."

Posts: 2098 | From: 43BN-37FF | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2016 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.