A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Gunsmithing » Seal Shotgun

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seal Shotgun
Rudy
Moderator NCO Contributor
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudy   Author's Homepage   Email Rudy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in about 1975 I bought an Ithaca 37 shotgun. It was a factory knock off of the ones used in Vietnam by the seals. Parkerized finish, 20" barrel with a 1-piece magazine tube that held 7 rounds.

I had an adaptor made so I could attach one of the duck bill diverters. In the process I found that the latest diverter was actually a figure 8 or infinity diverter. I had that added instead.

I traded the shotgun away about 10 years later and then traded for it again after another 5 years. After I had it, I noticed that it had been abused. Someone had fired steel shot thru it and had somehow managed to force a pellet (#7 shot)thru the side of the barrel about 7" from the muzzle.

After buying a new barrel, cutting it down, removing the vent rib, and moving the lug out to the end of the barrel, I'm happy to announce that my shotty is back!

Now I need to reparkerize the barrel and possibly locate a synthetic stock.

A little more on the diverter: It looks like an infinity sign or a figure 8 on it's side. I no longer have a circular pattern, but a rectangular pattern. It is a 4-1 ratio. It's 4 feet wide and 1 foot high at about 15 yards if I remember correctly. I have to pattern it here pretty soon.

[ 11-06-2017, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Rudy ]

--------------------
Rudy out
"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is no longer our friend."

Posts: 2105 | From: 43BN-37FF | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.