A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Basic Training » Getting Started » With all that is going on.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: With all that is going on.
Taurus
Member # 4201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Taurus   Email Taurus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all that is going on, I can't hardly believe no one is talking about things to do, or ideas for training or anything. I am just as bad, as I haven't posted anything either. So what are you doing? I am doing more PT (hiking), and working on caching more. Working on more food storage, and taking a TCCC class this weekend.

--------------------
Training to be the best I hope I never have to be

Posts: 44 | From: AR | Registered: May 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember "Shoot, Move and Communicate"?

The majority work on the shoot part of the equation but give little or no thought to the communicate part. For most communication is an afterthought.

Never trust someone elses infrastructure. The time to build your own off grid comm network is NOW.

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Posts: 15960 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
The Answer
NCO Contributor
Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Answer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm finalizing my bulk food orders, getting my homestead ready by organizing the land, preparing for planting here in a few weeks (waiting until the last frost), and keeping my people on alert for the reveille moment.

Physical fitness is moving building materials, hiking the perimeter, stacking my wall, tilling and haying my garden.

Biggest thing!!!!! Know your neighbors, know their friends, know their skills and their faults. Know the people around you!!!

Oh, and of course, stacking ammunition!

--------------------
Semper Vigilantes, Numquam Exspectantes

Always Watching, Never Waiting

Posts: 659 | From: Somewhere in these blue ridged mountains | Registered: Apr 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
The Answer
NCO Contributor
Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Answer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some areas underappreciated:

Plant and fungus identification: if you walk through a forest (hopefully you're near forests...or you're in a bad location), can you identify FOOD from POISON? Do you know which plants are good material for making cloth? Which trees provide edible sap, nuts, berries, fruits, or otherwise? Do you know how to turn acorns into food? Spruce needles?

Do you know how to identify GOOD SOIL from BAD SOIL? If you were to clear a section of forest, would you know which section to clear? Can you identify maturity of the natural growth you see in its natural cycle?

Can you identify deer droppings, bear dropping? Do you know how to fish?

Orienteering, foraging, plant identification, etc etc etc.

Can you make nature your bitch?

--------------------
Semper Vigilantes, Numquam Exspectantes

Always Watching, Never Waiting

Posts: 659 | From: Somewhere in these blue ridged mountains | Registered: Apr 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudy
Moderator NCO Contributor
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudy   Author's Homepage   Email Rudy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Constantly field training without weapons. Mostly survival skills.

All of my magazines are loaded:
195 30-round AR15
87 30-round AK
21 20 round FAL
21 20-round HK91
6 browning hi-power
22 Glock 17
20 M1 Garand

--------------------
Rudy out
"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is no longer our friend."

Posts: 2113 | From: 43BN-37FF | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
IMCRAY
NCO Contributor
Member # 4766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IMCRAY   Email IMCRAY       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comms, and food storage most important for us now.

--------------------
All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.

Posts: 14 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.