A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Basic Training » School of the Soldier » So Now What, Anything Constructive?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So Now What, Anything Constructive?
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another good article by J.C. Dodge over at Mason Dixon Tactical.

So Now What, Anything Constructive?

I did a post on May 6th that pointed out how ridiculous some of the “Moolisha” claims on both sides (antifa and the “Right”) were, and how they’ve shown there is very little in the “Responsible Power” category that is being put out on social media. The bottom line to my “power” comment is due to my modification of an old quote by Mao that says “Political power comes from the barrel of a gun.”. My modification is “True domestic power comes from the barrel of a TRAINED GUN”, although quantity has a quality all its own, and that’s what belt fed machine guns are for.

A comment was made by jbryan314 at WRSA’s repost that said this,

“Thanks, so… Now what? There wasn’t really anything constructive about it. Nothing on what we CAN do, or what we SHOULD do… Just a bunch of “you’re an idiot” type stuff, which is what about 75% of the FreeFor blogs espouse these days.

And before any fools come in here and talk about the article hurting my feelings or me being butthurt or whatever… Let me say I can’t really disagree with much of what the article says. What I can say is that after reading it, as a “member” of whatever it is we call ‘FreeFor’… I didn’t really gain anything. No new knowledge or ideas. Just drop that article into the heavier and heavier bucket of articles hat basically say nothing more than ‘you suck’.”

My response,

“Start here,
https://www.google.com/amp/s/masondixontactical.wordpress.com/2016/02/29/common-tasks-testing-the-armys-everybody-requirement/amp/

Quietly train, quietly recruit, and shut up about it on social media. There are tons of guys out there doing that, and this post was not directed at them. I’ve written plenty about it, look it up.”

OK, so even though I’ve talked about this plenty of times before, I will try and consolidate some of my previous thoughts into one post.

1. Start doing PT to the level that you are initially capable, and constantly seek to improve on it.

Physical fitness is the solid base or foundation upon which you build your ability to fight and survive. Although you can get by without being physically fit, you chances of fighting off bad guys or even the common cold are diminished if you are not as fit as you can possibly make yourself. When it comes to combat training, whether it’s hand to hand combatives, firearms training, or actual tactical training that involves maneuvering on the bad guys while carrying your support gear, your need for fitness can not be downplayed.

My advice is to start with cardio exercises and expand from there. Walking is great exercise, and if you start a walking program and then start adding weight during that exercise, you will not only be performing a good exercise, but it will be practical as well (ruckmarch anyone?). You will have to be able to perform with your support equipment (rifle/pistol mags, first aid gear, water at a minimum), so walking or even short sprints with you gear on is going to be necessary eventually.

Next I’d recommend calisthenics. Calisthenics basically use your own body weight and gravity as the tool for muscle growth and endurance. Pull Ups (palms out), Chin Ups (palms in), different types of push ups (diamond, shoulder width, wide arm), sit ups (palms on thighs not behind your neck), ab crunches, leg lifts, and calf raises are all just body weight exercises that you can do anywhere. The reason I recommend calisthenics before free weight training is because you can do them anywhere, and you don’t have to figure out how to make something heavy (although a ruck can do acceptably well for some exercises) to work for you if you don’t have free weights available (you’ll continue working out as much as you can post SHTF, right?).

2. Acquire basic defensive gear.

Basic means just that, and I’m mentioning gear before training, because you need the gear to train with.

A good, reliable, semi automatic rifle in an easily available and capable caliber. AR’s, AK’s, M1A’s, FAL’s, PTR 91’s (HK91) all have good reps and the ammo, parts and accessories for them are readily available.

A good reliable semi auto pistol in a capable and readily available caliber. Although most soldiers (Infantrymen) do not carry a pistol, you are in a civilian situation that may require concealment of your firearm (something Grunts do not need) before things go completely sideways. Glocks, S&W M&P’s, Sig’s, HK’s, Keltec, Ruger all offer a large selection of pistols to choose from. Again, like the rifles listed above, most have ammo, parts and accessories readily available.

Quality Kit that will comfortably (that’s said somewhat sarcastically) carry at a minimum, the basic load for your rifle (usually 6 extra mags), your pistol (usually 2 extra mags), an IFAK/blowout kit (individual first aid kit for traumatic injuries like gunshot), water, and basic survival gear (shelter and things to keep you warm, dry and fed). I’m a big fan of Tactical Tailor, UW Gear who also sells Tactical Tailor (a review of some of his gear is coming up), and a few things from Condor. Bottom line is you usually get what you pay for.

Unless you hunt, you have no reason to get more than basic combat firearms related gear initially. For that matter, some of the gear you acquire can do double duty for hunting if need be.

3. Acquire some basic defensive training.

You should get training in a number of areas. First, get to a basic pistol class. second, start learning some empty hand combatives. Third, find someone that will teach you how to run your defensive rifle. Last but not least, get some training on armed two man maneuver combatives (the most basic of small unit tactics). The basic element of this is the Buddy Team.

The Buddy Team class that I teach is the Rural Buddy Team Essentials Course (RBTEC). It is by far my most popular class, and besides the Wilderness Survival courses, RBTEC is the tactical class most asked about because there aren’t very many out there who teach down to the Buddy Team level (usually it’s fire team or above in size for most trainers).

As I said earlier, your PT will help determine how well you can perform a number defensive tasks, especially under stress. I’m not saying you can’t survive if you’re overweight (quite the contrary if you are able to stay out of trouble and in your house, you’ll probably outlast those being “eaten” by the “zombies”, right?) , because that modular food storage unit will probably last you at least a week or two even if you’re on minimal rations, and the fit people will have to constantly eat to maintain their strength. If you actually get into a fight, that’s where the fitness and prior PT will come into it’s own and save your bacon.

4. Acquire as much first aid training as you can.

You can never have too much first aid training. Start out with basic First Aid and CPR from the Red Cross, and if possible either pay for an EMT-B (basic) course or get it for free by joining the Fire Department or Ambulance Squad. We mentioned IFAK’s earlier, and the one you have on you should be geared towards what is needed for basic trauma by the most trained individual in your group. Your IFAK is what will be used on you, not what you’ll be using on someone else. NOTE: Of all the items in your kit, this is the one that everyone needs to carry in the same spot, no matter what side their dominant hand is on. This is because finding your IFAK in the dark is very important for the person treating you.

5. If possible, find some people of like mind who you can coordinate and train with for when times get rough.

Some people act like this is easy, but it is usually the exact opposite. Finding someone who is of like mind, is close enough to coordinate with, has the funds to acquire what they need which is listed above, and above all else, can be trusted, is a tall order. Although OpSec (Operational Security) is a military term, it applies equally to any Survivalist, Prepper, or NPT (neighborhood protection team) group.

One of the reasons I give so many of the groups out there claiming to be “Constitutional Militias” the crap they deserve, is because they can’t keep their mouths/keyboards shut for 30 seconds, let alone not tell everyone under the sun what their security measures are so as to show how “competent” their Doomsday plans are. Anyone who continually promotes himself on social media as a militiaman, militia commander, etc. (with “selfies”, badass callsign and cool gear to prove it), should make you think long and hard about whether you would ever want them in your group (or want your group associated with theirs), or be able to trust their discretion about keeping your group’s security protocols private.

You generally don’t see too many Survivalists “Showing off” on social media, because most tend to be more private about their preps. As an example, I can’t tell you how many dumbass moolisha members and “leaders” post what their security protocols were for meeting new “recruits”. They usually say their social media presence is all about recruiting, but in reality, it’s a “Look at me/us” fest.

Why would or should you ever need to recruit (this is not about making contact with other groups. That’s a good idea if for no other reason than receiving info after SHTF via HAM radio) outside of your local area for new members to join your group, when the reality of a SHTF scenario is that anyone outside of 25 miles (being generous) would never realistically answer your call? There are plenty of ways to recruit in “meatspace” (in person), whether it’s talking to people or putting up a flyer at the VFW or Range, or talking to the local gunshop owner and asking him to quietly spread the word to those he thinks would be a good fit.

By the way, another note about training. As I have said before, you don’t need to go to a training school to get the things mentioned above (it’s usually easier to do it at a class, and it will take less time having the info “downloaded” because we’ve already put it into instruction geared towards civilians). There are plenty of Vets out there that can help with some of these skills (that I mentioned in my response at WRSA), and Combat Arms (Infantry, Cavalry, etc.) can help with the SUT portion of training. If you’re lucky and they are a former senior NCO or Officer, they can help with organization as well.

Well, that’s what I consider the “Basics” for you “FreeFor” guys and girls who need constant guidance and reassurances. While I can give guidance (and I have numerous times), I can give you no assurances accept one. If you put your time. sweat and money into training and acquisition of the things you need to defend yourself and your loved ones, you will become the “Trained Gun” I mentioned in the adaptation I made to Mao’s quote. “True domestic power comes from the barrel of a TRAINED GUN”. A trained individual might not always prevail over an aggressor, but they will always have the confidence that they can. Confidence can win a battle that everyone else assumes is lost.

JCD

[ 05-15-2017, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: ConSigCor ]

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Posts: 14620 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2016 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.