A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Basic Training » School of the Soldier » Drone Operator MOS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drone Operator MOS
SBL
Member # 3900

Icon 3 posted      Profile for SBL   Author's Homepage   Email SBL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't yet seen anything written up about a Drone Operator MOS for Militia units.

In recent years, we've seen the incredibly rapid increase in the availability of small highly-portable drones. I think it is time that we discuss how the Drone Operator would work within a small combat unit.

While we can get real creative with the use of these drones, they are probably best used in the local area reconnaissance role.

I'm positive that in the not-so-distant future, each individual Militiaman will have at least one micro drone small enough to fit in the palm of his hand.

Right now, I'm thinking that the optimum use for drones is by one drone operator per squad, who will transport his drone in an assault pack and control on a a small handheld device. While others on the team should definitely be cross-trained on the drone, I don't see a current need for an Assistant Drone Operator.

A Drone Operator's duties on patrol will be to deploy the drone to scout ahead of the formation, especially in questionable areas and crossing danger areas.

A Drone Operator's duties in a defensive perimeter will be to do short-range patrolling of the immediate perimeter, especially the avenues of approach.

In both roles, the Drone Operator will work closely with the small unit commander.

Times are changing and the Drone Operator needs to be just as squared away as the Radio Operators of old were.

Your thoughts?

--------------------
On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.

Posts: 4297 | From: Central Virginia; VIM | Registered: Jan 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
Taurus
Member # 4201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Taurus   Email Taurus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. I would like to find one that has some specs. that would fit our roll better. 40 acres is 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile, that is 1320 feet or 440 yards. So we need a range of 450-500 yards, a run time of 25-30 minutes or more, easy change batteries and a good way to charge them in the field. Plus a lot of them use GPS to return to their take off point, it would be good if it would return to remote location (in case of contact you have to move or using it while on patrol.)

[ 01-12-2018, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Taurus ]

--------------------
Training to be the best I hope I never have to be

Posts: 33 | From: AR | Registered: May 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Taurus
Member # 4201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Taurus   Email Taurus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And maybe a way to hang an antenna in a tree in case you are in a valley and need to see on other side of hill.

--------------------
Training to be the best I hope I never have to be

Posts: 33 | From: AR | Registered: May 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Flight-ER-Doc
Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight-ER-Doc   Email Flight-ER-Doc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check your math: One square mile is 640 acres, 40 Acres is 1/16th of a square mile or 0.0625 sq mile

--------------------
Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy :)

Posts: 1936 | From: Slipping the surly bonds of earth | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce
Administrator Officer Contributor

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taurus is right, 1/16 of a square mile is 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile. Drones are a two-edged sword; you can see what's out there, but at the same time anyone you see will be alerted to your presence.

For things like search and rescue, these little things are indispensable. But if stealth is required, they're use would be limited. In any event, the technology is advancing so rapidly that it would probably be hard to write up an SOP for every militia unit. each unit would have to consider their own mission and needs, and write up a standard for local use.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 17348 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Commsprepper in WVA has been experimenting with them and has 16 videos up. Here's a link to the playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKWENMroyz0&list=PLfrteFE0V6mUu7zRzjCdpWZRuBWCja82k

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Posts: 15417 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.