A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » General Discussion » The Political Front » American Health Care Act (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: American Health Care Act
airforce
Administrator Officer Contributor

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's Rep. Thomas Massie on the new healthcare bill. Needless to say, he's not a fan. If the House bill was ObamaCare 2.0, the Senate bill is ObamaCare 1.1.

He's exactly right. Imagine if you could wait until you have an accident before you buy auto insurance. It wouldn't work. And it's the same with health insurance. If you can wait until you're sick before you buy health insurance, it's a recipe for disaster.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 16768 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As expected, there will be no vote in the Senate on this bill this week.

Hey, congresscritters: If you want more people to have healthcare, there's an easy way to do it. Make healthcare cheaper. Repeal ObamaCare, then get out of the healthcare industry completely. The free market will make healthcare cheaper without your "help."

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 16768 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Flight-ER-Doc
Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight-ER-Doc   Email Flight-ER-Doc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not get out completely: Offer the option for insurance companies to be federally chartered (as opposed to state chartered), and allow customers to select just the coverage they want: Don't want abortion coverage? then don't select it....

healthy folks can select catastrophic coverage only, old folks can select the full Monty of coverage (except perhaps birth control), etc. People can pay for what they will use, and the market will define the rates.

--------------------
Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy :)

Posts: 1903 | From: Slipping the surly bonds of earth | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

People will die! It's fun two-minute video. Enjoy!

Onward and upward,
airforce

airforce

Member # 523

A new article by Sen. Rand Paul:

quote:
I miss the old days, when Republicans stood for repealing Obamacare. Republicans across the country and every member of my caucus campaigned on repeal – often declaring they would tear out Obamacare “root and branch!”

What happened?

Now too many Republicans are falling all over themselves to stuff hundreds of billions of taxpayers’ dollars into a bill that doesn’t repeal Obamacare and feeds Big Insurance a huge bailout.

Obamacare regulations? Still here. Taxes? Many still in place, totaling hundreds of billions of dollars.

Insurance company bailouts? Those, too. Remember when Republicans complained about Obamacare’s risk corridors? Remember when we called the corridors nothing more than insurance company bailouts? I remember when one prominent GOP candidate during a presidential debate explicitly called out the Obamacare risk corridors as a bailout to insurance companies. Does anyone else?

Now, the Senate GOP plan being put forward is chock full of insurance bailout money – to the tune of nearly $200 billion. Republicans, present company excluded, now support the idea of lowering your insurance premium by giving a subsidy to the insurance company.

Remarkable. If the GOP now supports an insurance stabilization fund to lower insurance prices, maybe they now support a New Car stabilization fund to lower the price of cars. Or maybe the GOP would support an iPhone stabilization fund to lower the price of phones.

The possibilities are limitless once you accept that the federal government should subsidize prices. I remember when Republicans favored the free choice of the marketplace.

The Senate Obamacare bill does not repeal Obamacare. I want to repeat that so everyone realizes why I’ll vote “no” as it stands now:

The Senate Obamacare bill does not repeal Obamacare. Not even close.

In fact, the Senate GOP bill codifies and likely expands many aspects of Obamacare.

The Senate Obamacare-lite bill codifies a federal entitlement to insurance. With the Senate GOP bill, Republicans, for the first time, will signal that they favor a key aspect of Obamacare – federal taxpayer funding of private insurance purchases.

The bill will transfer billions of dollars to people who will then transfer billions of dollars to insurance companies. What a great business model – encourage the federal government to use taxpayer money to buy a private company’s product. Great business model, that is, if you are Big Insurance. Remarkable.

The Senate Obamacare-lite bill does what the Democrats forgot to do – appropriate billions for Obamacare’s cost-sharing reductions, aka subsidies. Really? Republicans are going to fund Obamacare subsidies that the Democrats forgot to fund?

Doesn’t sound much like repeal to me. One might even argue it’s worse than Obamacare-lite because it actually creates a giant superfund to bail out the insurance companies – something even the Democrats feared to do.

I was first elected in the heady days of the Tea Party Tidal Wave, when tens of thousands of citizens gathered on the central city lawn to protest Big Government, Big Debt, and a government takeover of health care.

This citizenry won in four elections. Each time, the GOP establishment told conservatives, “We can’t repeal Obamacare until we have all three branches of government.” Finally, in 2016, that came to pass. Republicans now control all three branches of government.

And . . . the best that is offered is Obamacare-lite: keeping the Obamacare subsidies, keeping some of the Obamacare taxes, creating a giant insurance bailout superfund, and keeping most of the Obamacare regulations.

Shame. Shame on many in the GOP for promising repeal and instead affirming, keeping, and, in some cases, expanding Obamacare. What a shame.

A new USA Today puts public support for the Senate at a whopping 12%. Gee, I wonder why.

Onward and upward,
airforce

airforce

Member # 523

Rachel Roubein asked Sen. Rand Paul about the new health care bill. His answer?

-

Onward and upward,
airforce

airforce

Member # 523

Retaining instead of repealing ObamaCare will be the GOP's undoing. A new article by Sen. Rand Paul.

quote:
Republicans will live and learn to regret the day they decided to retain Obamacare. Conservatives across America will not and should not soon forget the day Republicans abandoned any pretense of Obamacare repeal. By agreeing to retain Obamacare, Republicans desert the principles they claim to hold dear and abandon the promises they made across multiple election cycles.

I will not be a part of it, and it is why I will vote no next week. But beyond that, I want the public to understand a few things.

In this Senate bill, Obamacare is to be retained.

There will be no repeal. “Obamacare is dead,” they say as they mutter under their breath, “Long live Obamacare.”

Senate Republicans, if they pass this bill, will be voting to keep the main premise of Obamacare and all its attendant distortions and market disruptions.

Senate Republicans propose:

To keep most of the Obamacare taxes.

To keep almost all of the Obamacare regulations.

To keep most of the Obamacare subsidies.

And, worst of all, to create a giant Insurance Bailout Superfund.

Future generations will look upon this day of surrender as the beginning of the end of capitalism, choice and competition in America.

Too dramatic? You decide.

Onward and upward,
airforce

airforce

Member # 523

There will, finally, be a vote to just repeal the damn thing. It's about time. Republicans have been campaigning for seven years on a promise to repeal it. Now let's see if they do it.

Onward and upward,
airforce

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2016 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.