A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Basic Training » Auxillary » Neighborhood Civil Defense

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neighborhood Civil Defense
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 2 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a couple of good articles that deserve everyone's serious attention. Remember folks...Think LOCAL - Doc

Neighborhood Watch on Steroids

By Pat Henry on September 5, 2014@prepperjournal

In previous posts I have discussed home security concepts and how you could take steps to make your home more secure. Ideally, these steps would be ones we could all take to strengthen our home’s defenses but the sad truth is that most of us our modern home fabrication caters to aesthetics and not strength. We like light and windows too much and our homes while relatively strong are mostly built on frames that can easily be bashed in without too much effort and a sledge-hammer. Yes, I know they have plywood on the outside, but if I can drive my car through the wall, it isn’t too stout is it?

My wife and I like to play this game where we have won the lottery and we are discussing the first thing we will buy. Usually, at the top of the list is a new home far away in a remote stretch of wilderness. Since this is pure fantasy – mostly because we might buy one lottery ticket a year- the sky is the limit with construction. It is during these conversations that the stark difference between my idea of a dream home and my wife’s come into focus. For example, she wants a lot of big windows to check out our fantastic view of the hundreds of acres we will own. I tell her that we can’t have big windows because we have to think of security. Instead I suggest that if we have the large picture windows, we also install roll down hurricane proof metal shutters that would come down and secure all the windows from any damage. Yes, I know this is like something out of Batman, but Hey! I won the lottery in my mind.

Needless to say these conversations never go anywhere and no we haven’t won the lottery so I have to take all my defensive problems back to my current reality house instead of hiring some miracle contractors with an unlimited budget to solve it for me. But why do I need super Batman strength security in the first place?
What am I worried about?

I do not live in a “bad neighborhood” but you always want a home that you feel safe in regardless of the situation outside. Usually this is from the prospect of someone breaking in and stealing what you have or just plain busting down the door to do you harm. Our homes like I mentioned above are all easily breached with some basic tools, brute force or a little time. Heck, it only takes a rock to bust in a window and people can walk on in. A stiff boot will work on most doors the first try and that is if they are locked in the first place.

I think of regular home security problems when there are police and electricity and food on the grocery store shelves. I also think about home security when none of those things are present. If you have a grid-down collapse scenario your home most likely won’t stand up to a couple of determined people for long if they go unchallenged. It is times like this that unless you have a walled fortress you need to consider adding some resources to your defense plan. You could hire those contractors I mentioned to start retrofitting your castle with those handy hurricane shutters but that is impractical. It is much wiser to revert to the Neighborhood watch on steroids.

What is the neighborhood watch on steroids you ask? You have heard of the neighborhood watch before and some of you may even have this in your neighborhood. I remember that we had a home in our neighborhood that was broken into several years back and all of our neighbors got together at a meeting to discuss forming a neighborhood watch. We had a police officer come in and talk briefly about what we should and should not do and we all received small flimsy signs to put in our yard that said words to the effect of “This neighborhood is protected by neighborhood watch”. I think there was one lady who volunteered to roam the streets but that is about the last I heard of it and once the flimsy sign rusted and faded it found its way into my trash can.

If you have a true collapse and you and your neighbor’s feel that they need to defend their homes it is better to join together and combine forces so that you can protect more homes at once. It is also more likely that several people watching over things will be more of a deterrent than a single older retiree walking her dog at night. This is another situation where it all depends on the disaster that has happened. If you are talking about a late summer storm that drops some trees on power lines and you have the resulting loss of power for a few days, the neighborhood watch on steroids probably doesn’t need to get activated.

If you have something more long-term and serious like a hurricane that robs power for several weeks and damages homes or displaces people that neighborhood watch might be necessary to prevent looting. Thinking more long-term and dire than even a hurricane; if the police are unable to come to your aid, there is widespread looting, theft, panic and chaos – you should already have a plan for keeping your neighborhood safe from intruders. All of your able-bodied neighbors should be on board with joining the neighborhood watch if that happens. The more people you have watching, the safer you will be but the disaster will dictate what is necessary or prudent to expect in the way of escalation of force.

Defending the Neighborhood

Who are the people you could expect to pose threats to your neighbors in a grid down or Without Rule of Law scenario? I think it depends on the length of the crisis almost completely. If the crisis or disaster is relatively short-lived and some semblance of order is returned this problem will go away. The more prolonged or serious the crisis is and the more desperate or bold the people will become.

Looters – This will be the first wave and it is completely normal to see people looting over just about any event these days. There was looting in Ferguson that materialized out of protests, but the looting I am referring to would be more like what we saw after Hurricane Sandy. After the storm had passed, people were found rummaging through homes that had been evacuated due to the alerts. With nobody there to stop them, these opportunists simply had their run of many homes. I even heard some reports that looters would dress up as utility workers so they would look legitimate, but that may have only been rumors. Even if it was, I can see people trying it.

Desperate People/Nomads – After the looters have gone or when the subject of what people are looking for turns to necessities instead of flat screen TV’s I think people displaced from their homes would be the next group. We talk about the Golden horde moving out of the major cities and into surrounding communities and I think this is something we could easily see with the right disaster. Hundreds of thousands of people from New York alone could disgorge from the city if they had some form of terrorist attack or outbreak. When people are forced to flee so fast they can’t take any supplies, they will be left with what is on their backs. Even if you had a great Bug Out Bag, how much food are you taking with you? What will you do when the food is gone but the emergency isn’t over yet? These people will be looking for food and supplies and they may be walking through your neighborhood.

Bands of criminals – I think this is only likely in the most severe form of disaster after we have a long absence of law and order. Groups of thugs will join together for survival and once they do, they will start roaming outward to gain the same thing that others will be looking for; items they need or want in order to live. If you are still in your home and you haven’t bugged out to your secret walled complex with rolling metal shutters in the middle of the forest, they could find your neighborhood. These people pose the greatest threat in my opinion because they will most likely be armed and will have experience with assaulting homes and people. This will be a larger organized group that has survived long enough to know a thing or two and the will require the most force and tactics to deal with effectively.

I plan to expand this topic to cover tactical ideas, strategies and supply considerations in upcoming posts that will all be linked and I’ll talk about how you to transition from no plan at all to a neighborhood watch on steroids. Have you given any thoughts to your neighborhood security? Do you plan to join your own Neighborhood Watch on Steroids?

Thinking About Your Neighborhood from a Tactical Perspective

Pat Henry
The Prepper Journal
January 23rd, 2015

Yesterday I wrote about forming the Neighborhood Watch on Steroids and described a situation where you might need to join together with others in your neighborhood to provide defense from people or groups looking to do you harm or simply steal what is yours. Long ago, there were no such thing as police officers who roamed around in their cars connected by radio and dispatchers who monitored a central 911 system. If trouble broke out, you and your family were on your own. You may have been able to rely on neighbors if they lived close enough, but the defense of your property was a personal responsibility.

Flash forward to today and for a whole host of reasons our society has largely abdicated this responsibility to law enforcement. While there are many noble police officers out there, they are woefully outnumbered when it comes to people so while they may arrive in time to help, usually the police arrive after the drama has occurred and try to sort out the players as best as they can. This isn’t ideal when our society is functioning as it should be. A police presence could be non-existent in a crisis or disaster and it will be back to you and possibly your neighbors to defend your village or neighborhood.

Again, I am not talking about some snow that keeps people at home. I am talking about chaos where for whatever reason, law enforcement is unable to get to you much less protect you and you have bad people who are trying to get in. For the rest of these articles, I am going to assume a national disaster that has rendered our nation in a crisis where there is no rule of law.

Rethinking your Neighborhood

Your neighborhood could be configured in all types of ways depending on where you live. In a larger city we might have boundaries that are simply streets. Your neighborhood might run a certain number of blocks ending at the river. It could be that your neighborhood is the traditional suburban subdivision complete with a sign out front. You could live in a gated community or your neighborhood might just be a dozen homes in the country.

Before you enact a plan to defend your neighborhood, it helps to think about a few things first.

Understand the Enemy – Who are you defending your neighborhood from? What kinds of threats could you expect to encounter? For the purposes of this article, we aren’t going to consider a professional military force. We will say that the enemy could be lone individuals or gangs who range from simply hungry and desperate to organized and violent. Depending on your location and the duration of the event, you might encounter all types of people.

Use Situational Awareness – This will be key to any defense and that is to know what you are protecting and who is trying to get in. The size of your defensive team will dictate how much area you can realistically try to secure. There are force multipliers obviously and we will get into those in an upcoming post, but you have to know your neighborhood better than anyone so that you can model your defensive strategies where you will have the most advantage.

In another post on Preparing your neighborhood against attack, I mentioned drawing out the boundaries. You may only be able to secure a couple of streets or even one street and it will help to draw out the streets identifying access areas, choke-points, natural cover and the assets you hope to control. Some resources you can use now are websites like MyTopo.com that will allow you to order a detailed topographic map of your entire area or Scribblemaps.com that will allow you to create your own maps and add symbols. Naturally, these would need to be taken care of before any crisis prevents you from access computers or the internet.

Use the defenders advantages

I mentioned also that virtually none of us have a walled compound so it isn’t like we can march along the wall and shine spotlights down on anyone trying to access your neighborhood like some type of Alcatraz Island. You will have to use the advantages you do have though to give you and the rest of your neighborhood defenders the upper hand. If someone does come into your neighborhood you will be able to rely on your strengths.

You will have the ability to fight from cover and to create fortified positions. Again, this is assuming a SHTF type of scenario. What can you use? Depending on the disaster, you can roll cars into position, refrigerators, use stones that used to form your ornamental garden walls. For me if this really was a disaster I would be looking to build my own foxholes and augment those with sandbags. Digging a hole is free and a lot of dirt makes great cover. With planning and enough resources (people) the routes into your neighborhood that you want to defend can be set up to be highly defensible.

You have the home field advantage. You know your neighborhood and where everything is. You will know where your partners are with rifles trained on the bad guys. Communication will augment this but we will get into that later as well. You will know where paths through the woods go, where fences are opened or where special defensive devices meant to injure or slow the enemy are hidden.

You have the ability to prepare. Anyone who is intent on coming into your neighborhood will only be able to observe from the outside what is going on provided you don’t have patrols outside of your area watching for this behavior. You can set up defensive positions, deploy obstacles to prevent unwanted vehicle traffic and reinforce as you go along. If this is a gang who is somewhat organized they could have experience offensively, but they will not have had as much time as you to prepare your neighborhood to be defended against them.

In the next article, I will be talking about coordinating an intelligence and response plan so that your group will have direction and methods for knowing who is coming and what the neighborhoods response to various threats will be.

The Neighborhood Protection Team

by Defensive Training Group

August 17, 2016

Here’s what the deal is going to be in a best case scenario in the typical liberty-minded citizen’s world when SHTF.

Four to six well-trained and armed (to one degree or another) people. The term ‘Neighborhood Protection Team’ (NPT) is what the military calls a ‘fire team.’ The first people to popularize it that we’re aware of are two former Spec Op types, Jack Lawson and Mike Garand, who co-wrote, “A Failure of Civility.” We will be reviewing their book here in a later post.

If couples are involved, that can mean up to 3 couples and a relative number of children involved in your NPT, with the children, of course, being ‘precious cargo’ and something to be protected. If each member of the NPT has a family and there are 6 members, it could be as many as 6 families or 24 people (2 parents; 2 children). That projection is one of the primary reasons the NPT needs to remain small. Extreme case of 24 people is a lot of folks to keep sheltered, fed, healthy and safe. Your work is cut out for you.

So, for now, forget a full 12 person squad; forget a 40 man or better ‘platoon strength’ organization. Forget squad or platoon drills. It’s generally not going to happen. There may be isolated instances of larger, more well-prepared and organized semi-official groups (private ‘militias’, homogenous prepper communities and so forth), but by and large, initially, at least, that’s going to be beyond the pale of reality. At least measured by the indicators we’ve seen in the training arena. That, coupled with the ‘rugged individualist’ ready to ‘die on his doorstep’, provides at least anecdotal support for the assertion.

Certainly, as circumstances develop, small groups will become ‘centers of gravity’ as they survive and thrive, adapting to new conditions not seen in this country since the 1860’s, and subsequently, survivors will find their way to them, asking for sanctuary. Some of these will be quick learning people with needed skills; but it is speculation at best until we’re at that point, God forbid.

Bringing this closer to home, you may consider limiting your initial ‘NPT’ to 4 to 6 people and work with other small groups in your larger neighborhood. This will have several advantages, so long as your several teams have the same objective and can work together. First, command is decentralized, which, when working with Decentralization of strength and command in your neighborhood is going to be keep to keeping the community relatively safe during SHTF scenarios.

Your NPT should be armed with rifles if at all possible. Pistols and shotguns are nice, but, as we know, are extremely range limited. Bottom line is whatever your NPT carries is up to the members, but try to get the best ‘bang for your buck’ (pun intended).

Your NPT should meet and train on something related to the actual defense of your neighborhood as often as harmonious life will permit. Marksmanship is extremely important; the keystone of the foundation of being able to protect one’s family, friends, and neighborhood. However, don’t ignore other vital areas:

*PT (Directly impacts marksmanship as well as the ability to move and communicate).

*Map studies.
Go to www.mytopo.com and get a map made of your area in as large a scale as possible (1:10,000 is a good study scale) and if you can, get an aerial or satellite photograph. Make sure you have MGRS grid lines on the map. Yes, it’s going to cost you some cash, but take up a collection from the NPT and spread the ‘damage’ as you can. Make copies of the maps, or sections thereof, so you don’t have to mark on your ‘real’ map. Never take your marked up copies out with you during the ‘real deal’.
Learn to plot 8 digit grid coordinates (that’s what the MGRS grid lines are for, if you don’t already know)
*Take TC3 a couple of times.
*Learn how to put a ‘mission pack’ together.
*Go somewhere you won’t be thought of as nutbags and practice moving as a team.
*Practice hand and arm signal communication.
*Learn effective area camouflage – what works in your particular area.
*If money allows, sign up for training with someone who doesn’t do ‘hoorah’ garbage. Moving in a ‘stack’ and popping of a couple mags into a target 10 meters away looks great on a video, but you want light infantry type training. Most reputable folks will offer basic courses that meet your needs, or, if your situation is very unique, don’t usually have a problem adapting the class to fit your circumstances. Talk to them and find out. All they can say is, ‘No, thanks!’
*Start to study Situational Leadership. If someone in your group has a lot of experience leading, let them do it. It’s not about ego, it’s about staying alive.

Once you’ve reached a level of training that the members are comfortable with everything you are doing and trust each other, you must ensure that you keep the NPT effective without burning them out. Try some exercises putting the normally quiet people in charge and have them run the training session, especially in the tactics area.

If you have several NPT’s in a larger neighborhood, great. Coordinate with them, but stay autonomous as long as is necessary. There’s no reason to be under a unified commander when performing as a NPT. However, there is a need to network and coordinate activities of each through communication and discussion of the NPT leaders. So long as the NPT leaders all agree on ‘Commander’s Intent’ (keeping the neighborhood safe and stopping attacks), working together toward that end will be fairly difficulty free (aside from the difficulties of daily life without a support network that we enjoy today…).

Something that also works well is decentralized NPT operations, where each team analyzes their own small area of influence and moves about with no set pattern but with set objectives, performing what is called, ‘security patrols,’ which are designed to find an enemy trying to infiltrate an area.

Back in my day we called it, “Distributed Area Defense.” Teams operated in concert but independent of each other in their assigned sectors, all with the leeway to do whatever they believed to be necessary at the time to ensure their area was covered in an effective, random manner.

Think about how that applies to your urban, suburban, semi-rural, or rural ‘neighborhood’. Then, formulate a plan. Be choosy on who you bring into your NPT. You want dependability above a warm body.

In the future, more on NPT employment.

Your thoughts?

A Green Beret’s Guide to Improvised Home Defense Strategies

[ 03-18-2017, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: ConSigCor ]

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Posts: 15259 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
SBL
Member # 3900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SBL   Author's Homepage   Email SBL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NPT is for survivalists, not Militia.

How many people actually know their neighbors? Most people don't. Those who are on friendly speaking terms with their neighbors tend to be in very rural areas in immigrant enclaves in extremely urban centers.

The areas where the NPT concept is most valuable are the ones were people are least likely to even know their neighbors' last names. I'm referring mostly to the suburbs and high-end urban communities.

--------------------
On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.

Posts: 4286 | From: Central Virginia; VIM | Registered: Jan 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SBL:
The NPT is for survivalists, not Militia.

Survivalists are militia too. They serve the auxiliary function.

Think about this...

Every militia member lives in a neighborhood somewhere. If he isn't networking with his neighbors RIGHT NOW...finding out who's trustworthy, preparing etc.; then he will be screwed when the shoe drops. Who's going to look out for your wife and kids while you out in the field playing guerilla fighter? Or are you going to leave them to fend for themselves while all those neighbors you never had time for steal all your shit???

Who's going to operate the safehouses, maintain the supply caches, the communications network and medical aid stations that are an essential requirement of all militia operations???

When things go "game on" which will be more important to you?

Having a neighborhood based quick reaction team within walking distance who can respond on a moments notice.

or

A "team" of guys who live 30 miles away, who can't respond to your call for help until it's too late and you and your family are dead.

Just like politics...ALL militia should be LOCAL.

[ 09-17-2016, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: ConSigCor ]

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Posts: 15259 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking that as well... These NPT could be protecting suburban enclaves of resistance where militia families, and friendly refugee populations could live forming pockets of civility in a post SHTF situation. Protecting friendly civilian populations where auxiliaries work behind the scenes to support mainline militia forces and their families.

--------------------
"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it’s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)

Posts: 815 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce
Administrator Officer Contributor

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert Murphy has a great presentation on the privatization of military, police, and security services. The Market for Security is about 45 minutes long.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 17173 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
SBL
Member # 3900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SBL   Author's Homepage   Email SBL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as we all know the difference.

Too many people out there think the words "survivalist" and "militiaman" are synonymous.

The way the NPT is being described, it sounds like a localized unit within the Home Guard; NOT to be confused with a Rear Echelon Base security team.

We have to acknowledge that actively offensive Militia units cannot be everywhere. And wars are not won solely by defensive fighting. Imagine that you're in a boxing match and all you do is block the oncoming punches. You might last a couple rounds but by not going on the offensive, you're guaranteed to never win the match.

A fully implemented NPT program will reduce looting, raping, and piracy, but it will NOT win any wars. However, having such a program will be necessary and has its place.

Think about it like this; you need your local NPT in place, well armed, well provisioned, and well trained NOT because you're going to be fighting along side them, but so that you're not laying awake in your sleeping bag worrying about your family while you're a few hundred miles away hunting down and killing the enemy on their own turf so that you don't have to do it in your own backyard.

Go meet your neighbors; you're gonna need them, and they're gonna need you. Just.... don't make the NPT your first conversation.

--------------------
On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.

Posts: 4286 | From: Central Virginia; VIM | Registered: Jan 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ConSigCor:
...Every militia member lives in a neighborhood somewhere. If he isn't networking with his neighbors RIGHT NOW...finding out who's trustworthy, preparing etc.; then he will be screwed when the shoe drops. Who's going to look out for your wife and kids while you out in the field playing guerilla fighter? Or are you going to leave them to fend for themselves while all those neighbors you never had time for steal all your shit???...

Exactly. No one is going to come to the fight until he knows his family is safe.

Who was more important in WWII, the infantryman storming the beach at Normandy, or the sentry at the guard post outside the B-29 assembly plant in Omaha? It's a trick question; we couldn't have won the war without both of them. What? You think Rambo never pulled guard duty?

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 17173 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way society is these days, it is highly irresponsible to encourage people to expose themselves to predators on an individual basis.

A hell of a lot of people get opportunistic and predatory to the real survivalist even when the shit is not on the fan.

Being heavily armed and "dangerous" is no defense against sheer numbers and cunning. If I go waving a gun around, they simply extort me for having the gun. If I shoot someone in self defense, they cook up an alternative story to back up their guy no matter what the evidence and claim right to revenge. If I don't go armed, and word gets out that I am unarmed, holy crap you can't imagine the number of times I end up getting robbed. Sometimes I am getting robbed and the fuckers go reporting something just in case I say anything to the police and they get their story in first, so it's just me the loser crying excuses and sour grapes.

The only clear path is group action and retaliation, and on that, you need a loyal group. You are about as likely to be successful putting together a loyal group going door to door as you are getting rich in door to door detergent sales.

Believe me, I tried it, back for the Y2k thing, later in Oregon. Strat tried it in Washington and half those people Strat made concact with are willing to offer hostile testimony against him, and even more would just as soon lynch me. Even the ones who don't really know any direct information elect themselves to be psychological experts and offer their condemnation on the basis of "him and his wife seemed like nice people, but you know...crazy." And that's people who answer the door to strangers in broad daylight with guns in hand.

[ 09-19-2016, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Breacher ]

--------------------
Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.

Posts: 6705 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People seem to forget, especially the younger ones who weren't around, that the survivalists of the 70's and 80's are the very people who founded the modern militia movement.

Survivalists aren't the same as the politically correct 21 century "preppers". Although there is some overlap, there are many differences. The very term survivalist is antithetical to the pacifist who intends to cower in his underground shelter when the shtf.

The survivalist not only intends to defend his family; he will also be the one defending his neighborhood because he understands that for his people to survive...his neighborhood has to survive. Which absolutely REQUIRES that people work together as a team.

He's also acutely aware that the best defense often means that he must be willing to be viciously offensive. The survivalist understands that he must take the fight to anyone who threatens his A/O. And, that includes not only the common criminal but also ANY group that decides to come into his area, take over and steal property from the locals.

Some within the militia call themselves modern minutemen. That's cool, just remember the original definition: Someone who is trained, equiped and prepared to respond on a minutes notice to defend his LOCAL community from ANY threat.

Young, old, survivalist or militia, it doesn't make a damn what you call yourself; People need to understand that we are ALL in this together when the collapse goes game on.

Forget those "national organizations" or some facebook militia group over in the next state. They are not going to come riding to the rescue when the shtf in your neighborhood. All your groups should be LOCAL...people in close proximity, those you actually know and trust...people who will have your back.

quote:
If you want to train as a Neighborhood Protection Team, or Survivalist group, go for it. Both of those acts fall under personal and community defense and are God given rights. If you are putting yourself in the position of combatants that are trying to form a national organization, especially on social media, you are putting you and yours at risk and for what? To look cool and “badass” at an “FTX”? Think about it people, organize locally, keep it local and keep off of social media.- Deadeye D

[ 09-19-2016, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: ConSigCor ]

--------------------

Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We need national, if not international organizations, just figuring out the right ones and not allowing them to be hijacked is the trick.

God given rights don't have national border restrictions.

You think those sharia law peope let national borders hold them back? Or Communists? Or Nazis, or even dope gangs?

You need national and international organizations to fight national and international threats to our freedoms and for the expansion of the recognition of our freedoms. That's why I always supported the NRA lobbying efforts at the UN.

[ 09-19-2016, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Breacher ]

--------------------

Posts: 6705 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

This isn't about political activism.Over time national organizations always turn into a co-opted clusterfuck. For what were talking about here they are definitely not the answer.

If everyone would concentrate on taking care of business on the local level we would be much farther along. Think locally, act globally. Start small at the bottom and work your way up. Clone the effort in every community...make it go viral.

"Three percent" can't influence Washington because the other 97% are happy with the status quo. But you can for damn sure influence what happens in you own neighborhood.

[ 09-20-2016, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: ConSigCor ]

--------------------

mak9030mag
NCO Contributor
Member # 2955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mak9030mag   Email mak9030mag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Csc your right about Washington 97 persent being happy with the statist quo. Poky go was a walk up call as to how easy the sheep fall in.
When it started the wife and I were at the park. It was like being in a zombie movie. About 90 persent of the people all had there phones out pointing at things that weren't visible to the eye.

--------------------
Mak

Posts: 954 | From: washington | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

A big thing right now is that not a lot of people who weren't already looking for trouble are getting their doors kicked in and the governments main consern is who is going to get hit next and where, not the other way around. Bundy did accomplish that, putting the Feds on a defensive game.

Obviously that could change quickly, but the concept of being able to call in reliable outside help is a huge issue. In all of these areas where some tyrant gets abusive, it's important for the abuser to isolate the victims from backup. Heck, even abusive spouses practice that game wisely. Criminals want peope not calling an effective police response, police don't want you calling an effective attorney or having media ready evidence of your innocence. There is a whole cycle of artificial isolation and dependence that abusive people practice on their victims. It all works about the same way when you look at it.

Local support is a good thing, but mobility and a national organization, being able mobilize people from long distances, that's huge.

[ 09-23-2016, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Breacher ]

--------------------

mak9030mag
NCO Contributor
Member # 2955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mak9030mag   Email mak9030mag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Work with what you got.not what you wish you had seems to work..
Build a solid foundation.then build the house.

--------------------
Mak

Posts: 954 | From: washington | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

This guy is taking concept of neighborhood protection to heart. It's not the way i would do it, he's 20 years old, and he was "very briefly" in the military, so I'm considerably worried about his qualifications. Still, he's actually doing something.

quote:
An armed man is preparing to walk the streets of a valley neighborhood saying he's had enough of all the crime.

"If there is possibly a very determined enemy, we at least have the means to deal with it," said Conor Climo.

Climo's one-man civilian foot patrol begins Friday morning near Farm and Tule Springs roads in Centennial Hills.

The 20-year-old is armed with a rifle and knife. He says the weapons will keep him safe as he patrols alone.

Ultimately, Climo says he hopes others will join him. He says he envisions a citywide civilian force.

The plan is getting mixed reviews.

Some neighbors say they're hoping criminals will be deterred. However, others say they feel uncomfortable with the weapons on the street.

"I don't know what his intentions are, what his motives are, what his background is," said one neighbor.

Climo says he was briefly in the military but he would not elaborate. The 20-year-old says he's working to become a private investigator.

Police tell 13 Action News his actions are legal as long as he stays away from restricted zones, like schools and certain government buildings.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw an almost identical story from 2-3 years ago but with a guy 10+ years older, marching with a mill surplus bolt action rifle. Neighborhood comments were almost identical.

--------------------
"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it’s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)

Posts: 815 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Here's another excellent article by JC Dodge the founder of Mason Dixon Tactical. Give it a read.

quote:
The Neighborhood Protection Teams And Ignorant, Defeatist “Know It Alls”

I recently was made aware of an experienced (no mil background but apparently he’s just always looking for the next “One” to follow) “Rookie” that had all manner of “good” (not) things to say about the “Neighborhood Protection Team” concept. He was poo pooing the notion that an NPT could be formed during or right after a SHTF event, and actually do some good. From what I understand, this guy is very “well off” and has the ability to house all of his friends at his “retreat” during a SHTF event, and that is where they will run their “Ops” from. Great! Awesome! Good for you! Now let’s talk about the typical reality most normal people face.

The reality is that most people are lucky just to have a “Battle Buddy”. Reality is that if they are part of a group, most of the group fall under the “Non Combatant” or “Less Combatant” group member heading. These “Non Combatants/Less Combatant” members can generally assist with defense/security/observation of a fixed point, but will not be going out on the presence patrols conducted around the retreat or neighborhood. How do I know these facts? It’s simple, the people that come take my classes tell me what their reality is in their neighborhoods and areas.

Although I have had 4 man groups take some of my classes like RTTC (Rural Team Tactics Course) and “The Bushbastard Course”. The majority (about 85%) usually take the RBTEC (Rural Buddy Team Essentials Course) because they have only one other person to rely on and/or attend with, and/or the others in their group just can’t afford or get time off to attend (I don’t want to hear the BS from people about “What’s your life worth”, some people just can’t afford it). I guess this guy’s “fact or fantasy” filter is inoperable, because very few people have the opportunity to set up a “Todd Gray” “Patriots, Survive The Coming Collapse” capability.

This guy wasn’t just randomly using the term “Neighborhood Protection Team”. I believe he has a hard on for someone that uses it in their training. I’m not sure if it’s me (Doubt it, I don’t know him, and don’t care to) he’s trying to make look stupid/incompetent, or one of the handful of other trainers out there that use the NPT term to describe the organizational template and methods we advocate. He obviously doesn’t “Get it” when it comes to realistically assessing problems and coming up with common sense solutions for the average person.

Some of what he posted makes sense (a broken watch is right twice a day, right?), but the fact that he is posting something that basically tells people “You have no chance if you don’t have a group you train with RIGHT NOW!” or “If you don’t go to __________’s tactical course, you obviously don’t care about your loved ones.” is an exercise in defeatist thinking usually said by the typical rookie “Know it all” with delusions of his own competence and experience. The mindset of the “If you’re not doing what I’m doing, YOU’RE DEAD!” imbecile, shows his experience and mindset only lies with the “I’ve been to some tactical courses so I ‘Know’.” crowd. When training civilians in small unit tactics and defensive measures, I advocate planning on the “possible” outcomes, not the “probable” outcomes. The outcome of the Revolutionary War was a “possibility”, not a “probability”. Hell, the outcome of this election was a “possibility” not a “probability”….correct?

Why am I bringing this up? Am I trying to make him look bad? Not really. If I was I’d have said who he was, and I’m not going to do that. The point of this post is to show the ridiculous mindset of certain types who think they’ve arrived (Cuz I gots da trainin’), and believe they can now talk shit about what some instructors have put out. Unfortunately for the “Rookie Know It All”. he still has only a thimble full of the training and experience compared to that of the average PFC Rifleman in an Infantry Company when he’s half way through his enlistment (By the way, why didn’t you go in the military if you have such a hard on for infantry stuff now?). This guy’s problem is probably that his ego has gotten the best of him (Cuz he’s gots da trainin’) and he isn’t concerned about the facts concerning his actual ability in relation to an Infantry Soldier (that he wishes he was).

As I’ve said many times, “You are not a commando, but you don’t have to be.”. Are you screwed if you don’t have an NPT right now? No. You might be behind the curve somewhat, but you are not screwed (you do need to get squared away though) unless you give in to the defeatists out there. Having a small cadre of people in your neighborhood (a friend you’ve trained with, two or three vets, etc.) is all you need to set up the beginnings of an area defense. The whole point of the book “A Failure Of Civility” is to show the validity of the NPT concept (I hear a new printing is in the works). Garand and Lawson (who have real world experience, not this guy’s “I went to some classes.” BS) make a good case for the NPT concept, and give well thought out details on how to accomplish it.

Those who think they’re gonna form up their “trained” squads and go out to conduct their idea of “Operations” (that fantasy probably involves them ambushing a Gang version of an infantry squad), are stuck in their “Modern Warfare 3” fantasy and are in for a rude reality check . If your people are separated by more than 10-15 miles (that’s being generous and counting on a vehicle), they might as well be on the moon when you need an immediate response. “Defend in Place” operations might not be the sexy “Deliberate, Point, L-Shaped Ambush” Op you think you want to perform, but they are realistic and based on what has happened to others in SHTF situations.

Hopefully, this guy isn’t running the show in his group (probably is since it his “Bat, ball, and part of the field” they are “playing” on), because he strikes me as the type that doesn’t like to be disagreed with and apparently, his opinion is the only one that matters in his mind. When he’s controlling “His” retreat (as opposed to a neighborhood where all of you live and have a say), you know you’ll have to tow his line or else…..right? Don’t let jackasses like the guy we’re talking about get you down. As long as you have a plan, you are preparing, you are doing PT, and you are training in some way, you are ahead of 99.5% of others out there. This guy probably has fantasies of being a warlord when it hits the fan, and he’ll be running from firefight to firefight in his mind. Yeah……about that…. Next time you decide to criticize (especially regarding a specific term that obviously is implying the incompetence of someone with whom you are not a peer) , do it about something you have standing in. Several tactical classes does not make you a competent critic, just a vocal amateur.

--------------------

Etech
Moderator NCO Contributor
Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etech   Email Etech   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CSC,

Good article, thanks for posting.
I have found the paste below to be especially true in my field of experience and being 'set straight by experts'
quote:
Next time you decide to criticize (especially regarding a specific term that obviously is implying the incompetence of someone with whom you are not a peer) , do it about something you have standing in. Several tactical classes does not make you a competent critic, just a vocal amateur.

Posts: 578 | From: KC metro | Registered: Jun 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Deactivated
Officer Contributor
Member # 861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deactivated   Author's Homepage   Email Deactivated   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CSC great read classes are classes. Etech spot on.

--------------------
erwy 436 t7u65478u4we6bhp8u5ureuet45ujdb4tyu57uwetr6ukuilkr

Posts: 1806 | From: 6437 457n 64357n5u 79i 57 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

3% can and will influence Washington from the standpoint that with well organized road trips, they can potentially become 75% of the tactical forces in any given remote area of their own choosing at the timing of their own choosing when shit hits the fan.

Washington, if hostile, then has to prioritize areas just as King George did. Some major cities, ports of entry, a few critical highway checkpoints. That tends to alienate more of the population and create negotiating room for some deals which are not just dictation on opposition terms.

[ 11-23-2016, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Breacher ]

--------------------

ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Tactics of the Survivor,

by NC Scout

You can throw a rock and hit any of the so-called ‘tactical’ schools which teach their own version of combat skills to preppers under the guise of ‘getting you ready’ for golden hordes and Blue Helmet Army, post-badness. They’re really just heavily condensed Infantry tactics schools, which conveniently forget the fact that a lot of Infantrymen die without a huge supply line following them, and almost never cover the burden of consequences of extended contact on your people. While all of that run n’ gun is nice, and certainly sells lots of AR-15s and multicam kit, rarely is the reality presented that actually portrays anything close to what’s relevant.

You Don’t Have an Army Behind You.
You are your Own Logistics.
You Can Only Defend What You Can Support (and you need to know how to support what you plan on defending).

A lot of folks throw an overly large amount of money towards firearms and ammo, maybe a comparable amount to armor, and a little less to training, usually at the sacrifice of a large number of other productive things they could be spending their time and money on. Some of the better people I’ve met actively work to diversify their skill set among their groups, going far beyond the militia-plus-goats that many call preparedness, which is preferred in the long run. Being able to defend what you have and your posterity is a cornerstone of American, and human for that matter, culture, and so the want of being able to maximize your ability to do so is understandable. But it should not be the only concern, and should not be hounded upon as the lone solution to your preparedness needs. You’re probably not the only one in your community into preparing, and looking like a force of one when things go bad will make you an easy target.

You and What Army, Pal?

The biggest misconception, and one that draws a lot of ire from those of us having been around a while, is the overemphasis of militias and LGOPs (in this case, ‘Little Groups Of Preppers’) on standard tactical prowess of standing armies. Talk to any ‘militia rep’ and usually they’re start pointing to the same handful of military manuals for training, be it FM 7-8 ‘Infantry Platoon and Squad’, SH 21-76 ‘Ranger Handbook’, FM 21-76 ‘US Army Survival Manual’ and probably last, but should be first among the more serious, FM 23-10 ‘US Army Sniper Training’. Now in my experience, none of these people actually possessed any of the qualifications contained in those manuals, aside from what they tell themselves, but that’s another story.

As a reference, these books are great. But note I said as a reference; they supplement working knowledge the same way a car’s manual does. I’ve used each of these references in a school setting, where I had to learn the material in a hands on fashion and then was tested on it to the standards listed in the book. That’s the way it works; professional armies are a by-the-numbers affair. The handbooks then are used as a reference later on down the road in the various units the graduates from the schools go to, and there they groom new candidates to be sent to the schools.

Here’s the deal- each of those, and many of the subject matter books available out there which supplement the skillsets, assume you’re a member of a standing army. That means all of the supporting assets and logistical lines and scheme of maneuver. The Infantry’s first job is to take and hold terrain, and everything supports him in this task. But the Survivalist doesn’t have this luxury. The Survivalist only has what is locally produced in his community. The Survivalist’s primary job then is to avoid conflict, because it’s actually not just a waste of material and manpower, it also scares the deer away and panics the horses. And if conflict is necessary, then approach it by a completely different means than the way the Infantry would, which is usually noisy, bulky, and assumes the need for a plethora of weapons that are larger than just rifles. No matter how hard you try or how many times that high-speed tactical trainer told you different, you can’t go toe to toe with a standing army- any standing army- using matching tactics and expect to live. You will at best render a squad ineffective; when the rest of their platoon calls the Company occupying the area, and the Battalion, the weight of the world will come crashing in on you. I know, I’ve done it.

Facing the potential Blue Helmet Army then becomes a war of attrition; it’s a thinking man’s game of bait and kill. It’s not the body count that matters but the ability of the guerrilla to destroy the morale of the standing army. They may have the watches, but you have the time. Selective, one shot kills akin to a skilled hunter become far more preferable to the fire-and-maneuver perfected by Light Infantry. A team of three marksmen who know how one another operate loosely dispersed in an area can quickly render a platoon or even company combat ineffective. Compared to the school of thought that shooting fast at stationary targets is the marquee of tactical prowess, the hunter’s approach conserves material and significantly diminishes the human cost of battle. Pre-planned hide sites, deception, and baiting are all skills taught to snipers; he picks where and when he makes the shot amid his theater of destruction; and such a tactic absolutely crushes the morale of an enemy when they have little to nothing to return fire towards. I know, I’ve been both the hunter and the hunted on either end of the riflescope.

But what if the ‘Blue Helmet Army’ doesn’t come? What if the biggest fear, and not one so far-fetched, is that without the just-in-time supply line, brigands will form and when they’re done raiding their inner-city sanctums they move out into the countryside to loot n’ scoot like the plague of locusts they are? It’s not only plausible, I’d very easily argue it’s likely. Decades of conditioning to dependence upon socialist welfare and fast, cheap, GMO-laden food have created an army of obese monsters. What to do about them when they come a knockin? Again, remember that you don’t have an army behind you. And while they may be unskilled, they’re still people, and suffer the same natural error that favors the hunter.

People always take the path of least resistance under duress. The human locust would be no different. Why run through the woods when you can follow a road? Why walk over the hill when you can follow the valley? Why hug the hill when you can follow the river in the valley? All water leads to civilization, by the way. This path of least resistance is also called ‘natural lines of drift‘ which people frequent. The human locust plague is the same. So we can very easily take out our road map, which also has rivers, lakes, and tributaries marked on them, and figure out the general pattern they’ll be following. This gives us the points at which we build our trap- the point where they travel, the point where they feed, the point where they drink. Again, with a small team dispersed wide and well coordinated, laying a trap, the horde will figure out quick that their progress into the next little town over was a horrible idea. Even if they’re armed with all those $500 AR 15s they looted from the gunstores and suburbia, with less than 100 rounds you’ve won the battle. That is, provided you can shoot out to the effective range of your own weapon, practice regularly, and work with the folks who are also concerned with doing such. This all can be done by thinking like a competent hunter versus an Infantryman. Your goal is to move without being heard, see without being seen, and kill without getting killed. This should not be confused with shooting fast at stuff and running around dressed like an Ranger Regiment Assaulter. You are not that, and do not have what supports him in his task.

Once you do what you need to quickly and effectively without much hoopla, you can go home and focus on what’s more important- feeding and raising your family for the coming renaissance.

--------------------

mak9030mag
NCO Contributor
Member # 2955

Survivability threw attrition. Learn the art of the poacher,and you will never go hungry.

--------------------
Mak

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.