A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Basic Training » Small Unit Tactics » Proven Guerrilla Tactics from Jones County, MS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Proven Guerrilla Tactics from Jones County, MS
SBL
Member # 3900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SBL   Author's Homepage   Email SBL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When studying war, we often need to ignore the politics involved and just appreciate strategies and tactics that worked. I study everybody; Sun Tzu, Hannibal, Benedict Arnold, Stonewall Jackson, the IRA, etc...

I'm recently read the book (well, actually I cheated; I listened to the audiobook) "The State of Jones", about Newton Knight and his Jones County Scouts guerrilla unit during the Civil War. Knight was a Confederate deserter (for numerous reasons) who went home and started a guerrilla unit to fight against the Confederates there.

They were fighting against the government and had the support of a lot of the local population.

Here are a few of the tactics he used which WORKED:

1. Dogs:
Often he was hunted with dogs, usually blood hounds. To counter these, the scouts would crush red pepper into a fine powder, and place it on the trail where they knew the dogs would go. This would destroy their ability to smell. Another tactic was to slip a piece of broken glass into a piece of meet and put it where the dogs would find it. The dogs being ravenous, they would be be sure to gulp it down as soon as they found it.

2. Group size in transit:
The Scouts would travel in small groups of six to eight men. This kept their size large enough to put up a fight if they encountered Confederates, but small enough to maintain a low profile and hide.

3. Priority of targets:
The Scouts would QUICKLY kill the most zealous local officials. The Sheriff and tax collector were some of the first to be put in a pine box. This took those who posed the greatest threat to the Scouts out of the equation. It forced their enemies to replace the most competent officers with incompetent ones, or bring in officers from out of town who were unfamiliar with the land and the people. Either way, the quality of enemy officers decreased.

4. Expelling unfriendly population from the AO:
The Scouts would routinely destroy the property of enemy sympathizers and collaborators. Their businesses and homes would go up in flames. This did two things; it forced them to leave the county because they had nothing left to keep them there, and it put an additional burden on the enemy government because now they had refugees to care for. And by the way, the refugees would never be fully satisfied with any response from the government because it would never be able to fully compensate them for their loss.

5. Hunt the enemy IMMEDIATELY:
First contact often occurred at the home of one of the Scouts. After that, the Scouts would IMMEDIATELY hunt the official who sent the party and kill him in his or someone else's home. They did NOT just sit and wait for the enemy to come back; they went hunting.

6. Propagating Operations:
The Scouts went into neighboring counties and organized and encouraged fellow Confederate deserters to do the same kinds of operations. This served as a force multiplier and also as a buffer for the Scouts, allowing for further advanced knowledge of oncoming threats.

[ 09-02-2016, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: SBL ]

--------------------
On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.

Posts: 4282 | From: Central Virginia; VIM | Registered: Jan 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
North Force
Member # 2676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for North Force   Email North Force   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only #3 thru #6 would have continued throughout the decades - we would not be where we are today.

--------------------
"To achieve One World Government it is necessary to remove from the minds of men their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions and national identification."
~ Brock Chisholm, when director of UN World Health Organization

Posts: 1315 | From: In the Mountains | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
SBL
Member # 3900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SBL   Author's Homepage   Email SBL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They stopped because the war ended.

I think the hardest part about the next revolution will be convincing guys who fought along side you to pick the rifle back up and press on and finish the war, even if that means leaving home for a little while.

Instead, they're going to want to take a break immediately after each small victory. They'll say things like "I've done my part" or "I think we've made our point" or "They won't mess with us again".

--------------------
On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.

Posts: 4282 | From: Central Virginia; VIM | Registered: Jan 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People would argue that the Civil war did not end until the 1980s. Jimmy Carter was the main Southern politician of reconciliation. When Reagan won in the South by a landslide, that's when the Civil War was really over.

--------------------
Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.

Posts: 6614 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2016 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.