For God, For Life, For Liberty, For Property.

A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Basic Training » Field Medicine » I Can Pee Again!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Can Pee Again!
airforce
Administrator Officer Contributor

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That may not seem like a big deal, but try going a weekend without being able to. Trust me, it's a big deal.

Actually, I could urinate a little. Every 45 minutes or so, day and night. I would strain and strain, and finally squirt out a little or, more often than not, just drip a little. Just enough, I suppose, to keep my bladder from exploding. I can't really explain just how miserable I was. Suffice it to say that, while it probably wasn't the worst weekend of my life (thank you, Vietnam), it was right up there.

I called my primary care physician, who couldn't see me until tomorrow, but she suggested I go to the urgent care facility two blocks from where I live. I could probably have survived another day, but I sure didn't want to, so that's where I went.

The doctor say me pretty quickly, and after the usual questions, had a nurse come in to stick a catheter up my temporarily non-functioning joystick, and drained off nearly a liter. RELIEF!.

A quick analysis of the urine showed I had an infected prostate. I had some blood drawn for a prostate cancer screening, and was given prescriptions for generic Cipro and generic Flomax, and proceeded to checkout.

And that's the whole point of this post.

I only carry Medicare Part A, which doesn't cover doctor visits, and I told her I would pay for everything that morning. "Good," she said, "you will get a 60% discount for paying yourself."

A 60% discount? A 10% discount, even a 25% discount, would have been reasonable. But it costs the healthcare providers so much to jump through the loops required by the government or government regulations, that a 60% discount is profitable.

I paid $116 for the doctor visit, the catheter, and all the lab work. Another whopping $40 for all the meds, and I was done. That's about the price for an oil change and brake job on my car.

And since that catheterization, I can finally pee. Still pretty weakly, but infinitely better than I could before.

The moral? Get the government out of the healthcare business. Medicine will never be cheap, but we can make it about as painful as auto maintenance, if we really wanted to.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 17171 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Flight-ER-Doc
Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight-ER-Doc   Email Flight-ER-Doc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you're OK.

And your discount is not unusual..

--------------------
Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy :)

Posts: 1929 | From: Slipping the surly bonds of earth | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know. My primary care physician doesn't accept Medicare or any other insurance, and the cost savings is incredible.

A few years ago, I had to have a CAT scan. The cost was $1250. I asked them how much it would cost if I paid cash. I paid them $150, a savings of about 90%.

I'd like to get rid of Medicare Part A, just for philosophical reasons, but it's impossible. You just can't get private catastrophic health insurance at my age.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 17171 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you're feeling better.

We have a MD here that was once the head ER dr at the local hospital until he told them to stick it and went out on his own.

His clinic refuses to have any dealings whatsoever with any insurance company or gov. program. Office visits run from $25 for a quickie to 120 for an "extended" visit. Most common procedures are on a price list on the wall of the office. Looks like a menu from McDonalds. [Smile]

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Posts: 15257 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
D308cat
NCO Contributor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D308cat   Author's Homepage   Email D308cat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can only Imagine , Get well

--------------------
PSALM 144:01 Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle---

Posts: 720 | From: High Desert | Registered: Nov 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Flight-ER-Doc
Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight-ER-Doc   Email Flight-ER-Doc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ConSigCor:
Glad you're feeling better.

We have a MD here that was once the head ER dr at the local hospital until he told them to stick it and went out on his own.

His clinic refuses to have any dealings whatsoever with any insurance company or gov. program. Office visits run from $25 for a quickie to 120 for an "extended" visit. Most common procedures are on a price list on the wall of the office. Looks like a menu from McDonalds. [Smile]

Yeah, I may be doing that one of these days...

--------------------
Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy :)

Posts: 1929 | From: Slipping the surly bonds of earth | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
The Answer
NCO Contributor
Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Answer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you can drain the main vein. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

Health care is all sorts of muffed up.

Attached to employment (the w-2 kind). WHY? Small business owners in the middle class are the most boned by the system. I plan to start my own firm in a few years and my girlfriend's mom was rightfully concerned on how I'm going to pay for health insurance when the table is so turned against entrepreneurs. My only option is to be so awesome an successful that I have the cash to pay for it. I guess I'll just have to be awesome.

Insurance of any kind is meant to account for events one DOESN'T believe is likely. No one buys car insurance because they believe they'll get totaled tomorrow. They buy car insurance 'cause they never know and the risk ain't worth the roll of the dice.

Catastrophic health care insurance makes sense. Routine maintenance health care insurance does not. For check ups, screenings, etc, a menu with price points make more sense. The true consumer sees the true cost and can choose, and competition is really in effect. Instead, with the current model, the true consumer hasn't the foggiest idea what kind of money is changing hands. They only know what they pay, which isn't close to the whole picture. Of course, we all pay for it all in the end.

I think rather than insurance for older folks, special savings accounts would make more sense. And if you remove government regs, the insurance racket, and all the administrative costs, cash would go a lot farther.

Of course, the biggest issue is health care for those who simply can't afford even the cheapest health care possible. This is where charity comes in.

The situation is so damn screwed that making it right at this point is going to blow up everything, at least for the foreseeable short term. It's one of those situations where the pooch is already screwed and undoing the damage is going to be damn near impossible.

I don't have the answers but I can sure see that what we have ain't working.

--------------------
Semper vigilantes, numquam exspectantes

Posts: 548 | From: Somewhere in these blue ridged mountains | Registered: Apr 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
The Answer
NCO Contributor
Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Answer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As per usual, it's a racket. And the racket of all rackets, the monopoly on rackets, government, has its hands on the wheel.

Too bad for everyone that government sucks at governing.

--------------------
Semper vigilantes, numquam exspectantes

Posts: 548 | From: Somewhere in these blue ridged mountains | Registered: Apr 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

I just got my prostate cancer screening results back, I'm in the clear. And boy, I just can't get over how good it feels to pee. I just took it for granted all these years.

What would happen if government got out of the health industry today? No one knows, of course, but let's take a look at a subset of that industry, Lasik eye surgery.

As far as I know, no government agnecy will cover Lasik surgery. Neither will any private insurance carrier, though some "cadillac plans" will offer a sort of discount of 10% or so.

And for the last 20 years, Lasik eye surgery has gotten both better and cheaper. About 20% cheaper, in fact. Compare that with how other health services has risen over 20 years.

That, folks, is the power of the free market.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Ducttape
Member # 4689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ducttape   Email Ducttape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor wants me to get a prostrate exam in January ...... that's not quite the B-Day gift that I had in mind.

--------------------
My Daddy is like duct tape, he can fix almost anything.

A quote from my youngest daughter at 4yrs old, many years ago.

Posts: 210 | From: South-central Colorado | Registered: Dec 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

It could be worse. You haven't lived until you've had a colonoscopy. [Embarrassed]

Onward and upward,
airforce

Mexneck
NCO Contributor
Member # 14554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mexneck   Author's Homepage   Email Mexneck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least they put you under for the colonoscopy. It's the kidney stones you don't want.

--------------------
Well, this is it.

Posts: 325 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Oct 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

They didn't for me. But you're right, my brother tells me kidney stones are far, far worse.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Ducttape
Member # 4689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ducttape   Email Ducttape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh heck, ever since all of these illegal grows have popped up here in our neck of the woods of Colorado and the water table has dropped because of it, I have had Kidney stones three times in three months this year and the same with many of our neighbors. One poor guy has had them seven times this year !

I had never had them before until this past January, and I am here to tell ya that this grown man screamed and cursed and just lost it because I had zero clue as to what had woken me up, and we live about an hour from the hospital one way.

So it was over two hours of me screaming my head off until I got to the Hospital.

My wife called the ambulance as she didn't know what was happening to me and neither did I.

None of the drugs worked until they finally hit on a winner down in the E.R., and it was then that I was knocked out cold quick.

Those spinney lil'buggers are a torture all in their own right. Took me about three days to pass the first ones and that was in a drug induced mess I am here to tell ya !

--------------------
My Daddy is like duct tape, he can fix almost anything.

A quote from my youngest daughter at 4yrs old, many years ago.

Posts: 210 | From: South-central Colorado | Registered: Dec 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

My brother has had six or seven of those things over the last couple years. The docs think he's passed the last of them, and he sure hopes they're right.

Onward and upward,
airforce

discollector
Member # 31661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for discollector   Email discollector   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gentlemen,

Prostate issues are not to be taken lightly. If you have an enlarged prostate, it can kill you. Frank Zappa was 52 when prostate problems claimed his life. Merv Griffin, Dan Fogelberg, Telly Savalas and Johnny Ramone all bought the farm early in life due to prostate issues.

If you're nearing 50 or over, pay attention. You need to be checked for prostate issues by 50 as well as doing a colonoscopy.

Once you hit 50, it is a matter of WHEN not if you will get an enlarged prostate. But, you CAN help your chances and reduce the risks with a few common sense steps.

I've suffered prostate issues for a number of years. After all kinds of various testing, I have found that low levels of zinc in your body contribute to prostate problems. So, I take it every day. Other herbal remedies you may want to consider are saw palmetto, stinging nettle, pygeum, and if you are over 50, Beta-sitosterol (the active ingredient in all those tv ads for things like Super Beta Prostate, etc.)

Your diet is important too. Well, that and things like giving up smoking and drinking. Adding things like broccoli, beans, fish, nuts, green tea and berries that are high in vitamin C and anti-oxidants (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) will go a long way too.

Exercise, sleep, and a healthy lifestyle are very important as well. Hear me out on this:

I can tell you what real pain is when it comes to this issue. You really don't want to be waking up every two hours to take a pee and feeling like someone stuffed a broom up you butt.. not to mention peeing blood OR the worst of 'em all, not being able to "rise" to the occasion.

It's your health, but I would not wish prostate problems on anyone except my very worst enemies.

--------------------
For God and country

Posts: 13 | From: Georgia | Registered: Nov 2017  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

I've had an enlarged prostate for years, but the symptoms for me were so mild it didn't really bother me. I've tried saw palmetto, but it didn't seem to do anything for me. But this is the first I've heard about zinc, I may give it a try. Thank you, sir!

Onward and upward,
airforce

discollector
Member # 31661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for discollector   Email discollector   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by airforce:
I've had an enlarged prostate for years, but the symptoms for me were so mild it didn't really bother me. I've tried saw palmetto, but it didn't seem to do anything for me. But this is the first I've heard about zinc, I may give it a try. Thank you, sir!

Onward and upward,
airforce

I got my first bout of prostate issues in my 20s. The doctor may have been trying to impart his own personal views or maybe there is something to it, but he said I was too overactive in my sex life and needed to slow it down.

So, in addition to the medicines, I've been taking zinc for a number of years and it slowed the bouts down where I would wake up peeing blood. Here's a link you might want to look at as well:

https://www.naturalnews.com/042145_prostate_health_zinc_disease_prevention.html

--------------------
For God and country

Posts: 13 | From: Georgia | Registered: Nov 2017  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

I've never peed blood, that doesn't sound fun at all. [Eek!]

Onward and upward,
airforce

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.