A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Ammunition » .223 Federal Brass issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: .223 Federal Brass issues
coydog
Member # 631

Icon 5 posted      Profile for coydog   Email coydog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else have issues setting a new primer in Federal brass? I have a Lee set up and the small rifle primers will not seat into my spent Federal .223 brass. I have no isse with Rem or Win brass. So far the Federal brass I have had issues with are Lake City and Fusion.

--------------------
"State a moral case to a ploughman & a professor. The former will decide it as well, & often better than the latter,
because he has not been led astray by artificial rules."

Posts: 798 | From: A 105-11FF Somewhere in the Catskills | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Flight-ER-Doc
Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight-ER-Doc   Email Flight-ER-Doc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the old primer swaged in? You may need a primer pocket swager like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=447022

--------------------
Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy :)

Posts: 1949 | From: Slipping the surly bonds of earth | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
coydog
Member # 631

Icon 14 posted      Profile for coydog   Email coydog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flight-ER-Doc:
Was the old primer swaged in? You may need a primer pocket swager like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=447022

Ahhh maybe.

Thanks

Posts: 798 | From: A 105-11FF Somewhere in the Catskills | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudy
Moderator NCO Contributor
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudy   Author's Homepage   Email Rudy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coydog:
Anyone else have issues setting a new primer in Federal brass? I have a Lee set up and the small rifle primers will not seat into my spent Federal .223 brass. ... So far the Federal brass I have had issues with are Lake City and Fusion.

Being that you are having the same problem with LC brass I'll wager that the primers are indeed crimped in place. As far as I know, all LC brass is for the military and they require the crimped primer.

5.56 is loaded slightly hotter than .223. Crimping the primer prevents blowing them out.

--------------------
Rudy out
"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is no longer our friend."

Posts: 2113 | From: 43BN-37FF | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.56   Email 5.56   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks,

Actually, federal brass is known for being too soft. I and many others have issues with federal brass. You might want to try federal primers and see if that will help. I avoid goldmatch federal brass for that very reason.

I do a fair amount of loading with 2 dillon super 1050's and a 550b as well as the old rock chucker. in 2009 I produced 88,000 rds loaded. So I do have a bit of experience with the different brass.

Bought 1,800 lbs of brass I will be picking up for reloading this month.

Nick

Posts: 202 | Registered: Dec 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
coydog
Member # 631

Icon 14 posted      Profile for coydog   Email coydog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK thanks all. I am still fairly new to reloading. I started since my better half got me an AR for my 40th. I dont want to shoot that steel crap through it like I do with my SK so I figured the best way to stock up and stay that way was to go with reloading.
kingraptor410
Member # 4636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingraptor410   Email kingraptor410   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go to the local ranges and my gun clubs and see what brass people leave laying around. Some times I get lucky and find a whole lot of .223. One time I found some 5.56! I just go and look for any brass that I shoot and bring it home.

--------------------
Shoot first, Ask Questions Later...

Posts: 49 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.