A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Ammunition » Favorite Ammo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite Ammo
ParaSkS-DEACTIVATED
Member # 4391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaSkS-DEACTIVATED     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What ammo do you recommend for the following calibers? Include practice and 'real' rounds if you can.
.40 cal.
5.56 mm
.38 special

--------------------
It doesn't matter how you start something, or how you do in the middle. It matters how you finish it
Paramilitary SKS

Posts: 1214 | From: DEACTIVATED | Registered: Aug 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pericles
Member # 4003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pericles   Author's Homepage   Email Pericles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Real deal 5.56 M193
(1) IMI M193
(2) Prvi M193

Real Deal 5.56 M855
(1) Prvi M855
(2) WCC white box M855

Training M193
(1) Centurion M193 (for the price you could probably get the real deal above)
(2) Wolf if your rifle eats it OK

Training M855
Cheapest SS109 you can get

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson

www.dallascitytroop.org

Posts: 951 | From: TX - DAL | Registered: Sep 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudy
Moderator NCO Contributor
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudy   Author's Homepage   Email Rudy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I'd stay away from the M855. It does not perform as well as it was thought it should.

It has increased penetration at the cost of Lethality.

[ 04-23-2010, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: Rudy ]

--------------------
Rudy out
"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is no longer our friend."

Posts: 2113 | From: 43BN-37FF | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
OLM-Medic
Member # 4341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OLM-Medic   Email OLM-Medic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As to not make another thread, I'm going to post this on this thread.

I want to make a bulk purchase(s) on ammo ASAP. It will be 5.56 NATO XM193. I don't know what the best is but I'd like to know what you guys think about the following:
1) Lake City
2) Federal Lake City
3) American Eagle

These seem to be the most availible. AE seems to be the best cost as well, but I don't know much about them.

I'm going to be saving up as much 5.56 NATO as I can and practicing with either cheaper brass .223 or the cheapest steelcased I can find.

--------------------
"Remember that your adversary's desire to live is usually more powerful than whatever ammunition your are carrying in your firearms. Plan accordingly." -tire iron

Posts: 731 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Vader
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lord Vader   Email Lord Vader   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OLM-Medic:
As to not make another thread, I'm going to post this on this thread.

I want to make a bulk purchase(s) on ammo ASAP. It will be 5.56 NATO XM193. I don't know what the best is but I'd like to know what you guys think about the following:
1) Lake City
2) Federal Lake City
3) American Eagle

These seem to be the most availible. AE seems to be the best cost as well, but I don't know much about them.

I'm going to be saving up as much 5.56 NATO as I can and practicing with either cheaper brass .223 or the cheapest steelcased I can find.

As to the ones you listed I will say that the Lake City is the best, it is what the Military uses.

Federal Lake City from what I have read is basically the same as Lake City except sold by Federal.

American Eagle I am not sure but I believe it is also good ammo.

Also there is another one Winchester Q3131 which is USA Made or Q3131A which is Israeli Made.

--------------------
VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)

Posts: 3823 | From: Trapped in Rhode Island | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pericles
Member # 4003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pericles   Author's Homepage   Email Pericles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
M193 was never NATO standard, it is only used by the US and Israel.

There is not mush real Lake City out there,as the .mil is prohibited to selling to the civ market.

Federal made at Lake City (LCAAP cartridges) are the closest to M193 made in the US.

Federal Eagle is made at another plant, and typically will be lacking in some of the steps required for military ammunition (tar sealant or primer crimp).

IMI or Prvi is mil spec M193 and is a perfectly good choice (especially for the price).

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson

www.dallascitytroop.org

Posts: 951 | From: TX - DAL | Registered: Sep 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alpha-17
Member # 5300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alpha-17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm partial to M855 green tipped ball. It's what I'm used to, and, with the exception of a few manufactures, performs about the same across the board. Most of my ammo has "LC" stamped on it, so I'm assuming its Lake City made, but what Federal I've tried works great too. 'sides, if I ever need to depend on my rifle, all I gotta do for resupply is wait for the supply train, ie, patrol, to walk down the trail.

As for 7.62, I would of said M80 Ball a while back, but the more I look at ballistic tip ammo, the more I like. In that regard, the only one I've used thus far is Hornady's SST 150-grain .308 round. Good stuff. Little entrance hole, little exit hole, massive cavity in between.

[ 08-16-2010, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Alpha-17 ]

--------------------
The Latest and Greatest in TactiCool Gear won't Keep You Alive, but, Hey, What's Wrong with Surviving in Style?

Posts: 53 | From: Ft. Riley, Kansas | Registered: Jul 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
sharpstick
Member # 2650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharpstick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like wolf, there is no reason to stock huge amounts of good ammo other then say 2-3k. Once you have your stored ammo, get whatever is cheap. This is practice ammo, ammo used to hone your skills, not kill the bad guy. I shoot at current rates about 1000 rounds a month, anything i can do to bring that cost down is better. Sure you could shoot 1000 rounds a month of the good stuff, but at the same cost you could shoot 2200 rounds of the cheap stuff. Doesn't matter what you shoot at the bad guy if you never hit him.
Posts: 792 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Vader
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lord Vader   Email Lord Vader   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alpha-17:
I'm partial to M855 green tipped ball. It's what I'm used to, and, with the exception of a few manufactures, performs about the same across the board. Most of my ammo has "LC" stamped on it, so I'm assuming its Lake City made, but what Federal I've tried works great too. 'sides, if I ever need to depend on my rifle, all I gotta do for resupply is wait for the supply train, ie, patrol, to walk down the trail.

As for 7.62, I would of said M80 Ball a while back, but the more I look at ballistic tip ammo, the more I like. In that regard, the only one I've used thus far is Hornady's SST 150-grain .308 round. Good stuff. Little entrance hole, little exit hole, massive cavity in between.

Friend you sure about the exit hole being little.

I would think it would be a large exit hole, what with the expansion.

I am thinking of using that ammo or the A-max or Tap, the things I am concerned with is if there would be any problem with the tip deforming within the Magazine, and if the bullet is not crimped would there be a problem with bullet setback do to recoil.

There also the issue of no sealant on the bullet and primer, but that can be corrected.

I do know one thing for sure and that is 308 ball ammo sucks for stopping power compared to a Ballistic Tip bullet.

--------------------

Posts: 3823 | From: Trapped in Rhode Island | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alpha-17
Member # 5300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alpha-17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper_762X51:
Friend you sure about the exit hole being little.

Yep, it's what I used to back a deer back in December. The shot was high (forgot to compensate for the higher rise of the SST over the Ball ammo my EOTech was zeroed with), and I hit it in the upper back. Dropped it instantly. When we skinned it later, you could see a small hole on both sides, but a large cavity in between. Don't know why, but that's how it was.

--------------------
The Latest and Greatest in TactiCool Gear won't Keep You Alive, but, Hey, What's Wrong with Surviving in Style?

Posts: 53 | From: Ft. Riley, Kansas | Registered: Jul 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Vader
Member # 168

I will take a guess that the bullet had lost most of its velocity by the time it exited the deer and that means most of the energy was transferred to the deer and that is a very good thing. And since a deer is not that much different in bulk then a person it would mean that round would be very good for combat.

I mean a deer is not an Elk or Bear etc

I saw some pics of what the Hornady does when fired into Gelatin and they were most impressive.

The Hornady is quite expensive at around $1.50 per round but if I can get the money I will be getting a couple thousand rounds of it, to save for social purposes.

I think $1.50 per one Blue Helmet will be worth it and a real bargin.

--------------------

OLM-Medic
Member # 4341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OLM-Medic   Email OLM-Medic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharpstick:
I like wolf, there is no reason to stock huge amounts of good ammo other then say 2-3k. Once you have your stored ammo, get whatever is cheap. This is practice ammo, ammo used to hone your skills, not kill the bad guy. I shoot at current rates about 1000 rounds a month, anything i can do to bring that cost down is better. Sure you could shoot 1000 rounds a month of the good stuff, but at the same cost you could shoot 2200 rounds of the cheap stuff. Doesn't matter what you shoot at the bad guy if you never hit him.

I agree. I do plan on using 1,000 or so brass for practice just to see how my gun will hold up. I'll probably do that on a carbine course. My AR jams sometimes with steel cased ammo, so I want to test it out with brass (so far zero issues, but not alot of brass fired compared to steel).

--------------------
"Remember that your adversary's desire to live is usually more powerful than whatever ammunition your are carrying in your firearms. Plan accordingly." -tire iron

Posts: 731 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.