A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Ammunition » Berdan primers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Berdan primers
Flight-ER-Doc
Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight-ER-Doc   Email Flight-ER-Doc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, am I missing something here?

There are various schemes involving using a cutting tool and a lathe to cut out the berdan primer pocket in ammo, converting it to boxer configuration.

Are there not any punch dies available that will do this? If not, why the hell not? If so, where are they? This seems like an absolute no freakin brainer to me, the only holdup I could think of is that the amount of force needed might be more than a hand reloading press can provide....but since I can resize .50BMG that seems improbable.

--------------------
Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy :)

Posts: 1949 | From: Slipping the surly bonds of earth | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some twin needle punches for removing berdan primers, but drilling the back of the case to take boxer primers might not be necessary. I had been under the impression that if you can punch out the berdan primer, you can replace it with a regular primer and get plenty of fire through the little holes that the berdan primer fired through. The issue is that single centered hole and if you want to go through the hassle of re-drilling the cases so that removing the next primer only requires regular reloading equipment. I had the impression that primer cup depth and diameter were pretty standardized.

--------------------
Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.

Posts: 6705 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Flight-ER-Doc
Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight-ER-Doc   Email Flight-ER-Doc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Breacher:
There are some twin needle punches for removing berdan primers, but drilling the back of the case to take boxer primers might not be necessary. I had been under the impression that if you can punch out the berdan primer, you can replace it with a regular primer and get plenty of fire through the little holes that the berdan primer fired through. The issue is that single centered hole and if you want to go through the hassle of re-drilling the cases so that removing the next primer only requires regular reloading equipment. I had the impression that primer cup depth and diameter were pretty standardized.

Thats why it should be fairly trivial to make a swaging die to punch out the middle part of the berdan primer hole and reform the outer part to boxer sizes. Corbin swaging dies do most of this in brass....

I guess I'll email them and see WTF is going on.

--------------------
Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy :)

Posts: 1949 | From: Slipping the surly bonds of earth | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
McMedic
Moderator Officer Contributor

Member # 2844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McMedic   Email McMedic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found this

I read one account of someone "hydraulically" removing berdan primers. He would remove the decapping pin, fill the cases with water and run them through the press. Made a hell of a mess he said.

Let us know what you discover.

--------------------
“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” Dr. Seuss

Posts: 1684 | From: 43/18 | Registered: Jun 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudy
Moderator NCO Contributor
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudy   Author's Homepage   Email Rudy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can the new primer hole be a smaller diameter than an original boxer primer?

--------------------
Rudy out
"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is no longer our friend."

Posts: 2113 | From: 43BN-37FF | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
McMedic
Moderator Officer Contributor

Member # 2844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McMedic   Email McMedic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I can tell, it can be somewhat. If I remember correctly the standard size is .080 for boxer primer flash holes.

I don't know for sure, but it would seem that if the hole is too small, it may affect the burn rate and have an adverse effect on round performance. Too large may cause back pressure problems and result in primer "blowout."

It depends on what you read and where. There doesn't seem to be a consensus that I can find.

A good friend, who shall remain nameless, tried reloading a berdan round with a boxer primer and the end result was catastrophic case failure. Luckily he wasn't injured.

Personally, I don't fool with berdan brass. I hope it doesn't come down to being forced to.

--------------------
“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” Dr. Seuss

Posts: 1684 | From: 43/18 | Registered: Jun 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.