A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Ammunition » .223/5.56 Ammo (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: .223/5.56 Ammo
OLM-Medic
Member # 4341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OLM-Medic   Email OLM-Medic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that was bad wording from me.

I meant if my AR was sighted in with 55 gr ammo, and I used heavier gr ammo without re-sighting it in how much of a difference would it make in point of impact.

I know it will make a difference, but I'm not sure how much.

--------------------
"Remember that your adversary's desire to live is usually more powerful than whatever ammunition your are carrying in your firearms. Plan accordingly." -tire iron

Posts: 731 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Vader
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lord Vader   Email Lord Vader   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OLM-Medic:
that was bad wording from me.

I meant if my AR was sighted in with 55 gr ammo, and I used heavier gr ammo without re-sighting it in how much of a difference would it make in point of impact.

I know it will make a difference, but I'm not sure how much.

The Short Answer A LOT.

The Longer Answer every time the Specific Loading is Changed the point of impact will most likely change, and this will happen even with a different loading of the same Bullet Weight, and it can even happen by switching to a different Lot Number of what should be the Exact Same Ammo.

So yes the Point of Impact will certainly change by changing bullet weights either from lighter to heavier or from heavier to lighter.

And it is not only Elevation (Vertical) that can change, Windage (Horizontal) can also change.

For close combat the difference may be insignificant does it really matter if you hit the target one or two inches from where you wanted to, but at long range it can or in the case of going from 55 gr to 75 gr it will make a big difference.

This is the reason that shooters interested in accuracy like match shooters sort brass according to headstamp and use Powder of the same Lot number and even go as far as weighing each bullet before loading. They want to remove as many variables as possible.

Snipers usually use ammo of the same lot number if possible and if they have to change they check to see if their rifle still shoots to the same point of impact.

--------------------
VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)

Posts: 3823 | From: Trapped in Rhode Island | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Vader
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lord Vader   Email Lord Vader   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have included this since you wanted to know how much of a difference it would make.

For practice it shouldn't be a problem if your group is a few inches from where you wanted it to be as long as you can still hit paper. If your practice ammo is shooting 3 inches to the left, just remember it and don't worry about it, since in practice you should be shooting for group size and not were it hits. A one inch group three inches to the left will still be a one inch group if you adjust your sights to put the point of impact where you want it. And when switching between one loading and another just keep a mental note of the different points of impact.

I always sight in high at 100 yd so I am on at 200 – 250 yd and then I fire at 200 to make sure I am hitting where I want to.

I usually practice at 100 yd to shorten the walk or drive to the target, so my point of impact during practice is always high.

Now if you are wondering about switching during serious use like in the coming Revolution, I would suggest against it, or at least fire both loadings at the range and write down and remember where the two loading hit and then you can compensate later if you need to. But that is a very big P.I.T.A. And it is very very very good way to miss when you can least afford a miss.

--------------------

Posts: 3823 | From: Trapped in Rhode Island | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
sharpstick
Member # 2650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharpstick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just map my ammo, You can sight in a gun in about 5 shots if you have known range and know your sights. So for the first 5 shots of any case of ammo, just figure out where you need your sights to go. Always set your base line with your combat ammo, so that's your start point.
After that just write down on a piece of paper the adjustments needed to bring the ammo to POA/POI. You really need to know your ammo and rifle well enough to preform this task.

Posts: 792 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Vader
Member # 168

quote:
Originally posted by sharpstick:
I just map my ammo, You can sight in a gun in about 5 shots if you have known range and know your sights. So for the first 5 shots of any case of ammo, just figure out where you need your sights to go. Always set your base line with your combat ammo, so that's your start point.
After that just write down on a piece of paper the adjustments needed to bring the ammo to POA/POI. You really need to know your ammo and rifle well enough to preform this task.

Yep that will work just fine, unless you acquire new ammo under combat conditions, Battlefield Supply anyone.

What you do is about the same as a Sniper using Come Ups or at least it works the same way.

I am lazy and I cheat. I always try to get ammo more then one case at a time and ask for the same lot number, then that is my combat ammo.

By the way completely off Topic.

I used to do the same when I bought Film for my Nikons buy it all of the same lot at the same time then test it for Speed and color etc and then freeze it until needed.

Also if yo are making a Movie with Video, and if you need to use more then one camera it is necessary that both Cameras be the same make and model and bought at the same time if new. Since the sensors have different characteristics.

--------------------

Imagrunt

Member # 563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imagrunt   Author's Homepage   Email Imagrunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good info!

I will use my remaining 800 rounds of M855 for breaking in new barrels.

--------------------
I would gladly lay aside the use of arms and settle matters by negotiation, but unless the whole will, the matter ends, and I take up my battle rifle, and thank God that He has put it within my grasp.

Audit Fort Knox!

Posts: 3469 | From: Philistine Occupied CA | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
drjarhead
Member # 4007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drjarhead   Email drjarhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Copes distributing has good deals right now on 5.56.

CDNN sent an email this AM with UMC 20rd boxes for $7. That's also a pretty good price.

I don't think you can keep getting the same lot numbers though. Those move regularly.

FWIW, it seems ammo is dropping in price pretty quickly right now.

--------------------

The War for America
Fight Everywhere
III

Posts: 1248 | From: WI Northwoods | Registered: Oct 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.