A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Ammunition » 308/7.62 AP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 308/7.62 AP
free radical
Officer Contributor
Member # 3993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for free radical   Email free radical   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need to do a bucha reloading to feed a crank operated M1919 belt fed. We have some tracer bullitts, does anyonr know where/if we can get 30.06 black tip AP bullits, or if there is a big enough difference in destructive power over std.
FMJ 308 to be worth the price...need 100's or a thousnd, or if not what is the best .308 or 7.62 NATO for penetrative power?

--------------------
fomerly known as Kentucky Rifleman

Posts: 350 | From: louisville kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
sharpstick
Member # 2650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharpstick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They dont offer much in terms of tissue damage they actually offer less. If it were me , knowing that regular 308 will defeat most anything that is not armored and that most modern armor is made to stop AP, I dont see any use in them. As far as penetration goes, 308 is an anti personnel round so its not really designed toward penetration that a byproduct of being a larger rifle round. I would have to say that a FMJ would be about as good as it gets beyond the penetrate tipped bullet. You may research some hard cast led running large amounts of tin to harden it up , you can cast them yourself but dont quote me on pressures or ability to feed in a 1919.

Pats reloading would be the only place I could think to check, they will have a booth at knob creek machine gun shoot.

Posts: 792 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
free radical
Officer Contributor
Member # 3993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for free radical   Email free radical   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not as concerned with body damage or even personel body armor but the best bang against
metal and material such as "junk" cars. Of course I know .50bmg is better, so thats NOT the question.

--------------------
fomerly known as Kentucky Rifleman

Posts: 350 | From: louisville kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
tire iron

Member # 155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tire iron   Email tire iron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fr,

It would have been beneficial to know in the FIRST post that you were interested in primarily shooting metal such as "junk" cars.

The only criteria you specified in your opening post was "penetrative power" - which can mean many different things when speaking of ammunition.

FMJ will penetrate a car.

cheers

tire iron

--------------------
An amateur practices something until he gets it right - a pro practices something until he can't do it wrong.
My Schools: http://www.acpsllc.com
http://utahguntraining.com
Utah Gun Training

Posts: 3425 | From: utah | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudy
Moderator NCO Contributor
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudy   Author's Homepage   Email Rudy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wideners occasionally offers 7.62 steel jacketed, with copper wash, 147 grain bullets made for FN.

--------------------
Rudy out
"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is no longer our friend."

Posts: 2113 | From: 43BN-37FF | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
sharpstick
Member # 2650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharpstick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again 7.62 is not an anti material round, its a anti personnel round. What I'm getting at is its not made to penetrate junk such as cars or refrigerator's.What your asking it to do is beyond its intended role, and as such it doesn't do it well, no matter what the bullet construction.

I have seen 308 and even 50 BMG fail to penetrate a motor block after first penetrating the auto body, heck the 20MM didn't exit the block of a Dodge caravan at no more then about 175-200 yards.

The AR15.com shoot is coming up at knob creek in a few weeks, come on out and see first hand what the bullets will do to a car. Though I'm sure you will find as I have that its a fluke or a crap shoot, some fmj will crack a block, some will be sitting but out in a door pillar, there are so many variables its crazy and not very predictable. Anyhow there will be a bunch of full autos and a bunch of belt feds, you can see first hand what each dose.

Posts: 792 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Total Resistance
Member # 1872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Total Resistance   Author's Homepage   Email Total Resistance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this a rechambered M1919 in 7.62 NATO?

Last I knew .308 was considered a "handgun" round when AP ammo was being discussed which is illegal to manufacture.

If it is still the law of the land possession with intent can be a crime and making 7.62x51 AP would be a crime.

--------------------
www.civiliandefenseforce.com

Rule #1 - You do not publically bad mouth a fellow patriot.

"Being innocent is simply not enough for the government," Denise Simon

Posts: 1115 | From: Twilight Zone | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
sharpstick
Member # 2650

As far as i know you are correct TR, And from what i have read on the web they are a disappointment at best not doing what people expect them to do.
Coverbuster
Member # 5348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coverbuster   Email Coverbuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is some Hirt 762 API out there and THAT is worth the price of admission .

--------------------
Zombies don't eat RETARD , so you're safe .

Posts: 44 | From: Mid West desert | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
D308cat
NCO Contributor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D308cat   Author's Homepage   Email D308cat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sportsmans Guide Has some mag Tec FMJ 308 right now, get it while you can $157 for 250rnds, also 500 & 1000 availible while it lasts, SEMPER FI , JUST SO YA KNOW

[ 01-08-2013, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: D308cat ]

--------------------
PSALM 144:01 Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle---

Posts: 721 | From: High Desert | Registered: Nov 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Texas Resistance
Member # 1582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Texas Resistance   Author's Homepage   Email Texas Resistance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Total Resistance:
Is this a rechambered M1919 in 7.62 NATO?

Last I knew .308 was considered a "handgun" round when AP ammo was being discussed which is illegal to manufacture.

If it is still the law of the land possession with intent can be a crime and making 7.62x51 AP would be a crime.

Pulled black tipped .30-06 AP bullets can still probably be found for sale somewhere.

In the 1980's you used to be able to by all the Chi-Com 7.62x39 steel core AP ammo you wanted. Then only after someone made a pistol that fired 7.62x39 ammo did sale of it or the manufacture of it to sell become illegal but possession of it was never illegal.

So as long as you do not sell it you can take .30-06 steel core AP bullets and make all the .308 AP, .30-06 AP, or .300 win mag. ammunition you want to.

In Texas possession of AP pistol rounds like KTW is illegal but if the invading foreign occupiers are wearing body armor and all you have is a pistol just make a head, groin, or femur shot.

[ 01-13-2013, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Texas Resistance ]

--------------------
www.TexasMilitia.Info “Seek out and join a lawful Militia or form one in your area. If you wish to remain Free you will have to fight for it...because the traitors will give us no choice in the matter” William Cooper

Posts: 2562 | From: Angelina County, TX | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is pretty easy to just get the changeover parts to make that 1919 run back on 30-06, probably a lot easier than pulling bullets and reloading them into 7.62 NATO cases.

Barrel, booster, (remove feed tray filler piece), people say to swap the bolt, but it really should not be making a serious difference.

--------------------
Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.

Posts: 6705 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.