A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Ammunition » Tula .223

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tula .223
sinistral
NCO Contributor
Member # 4609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sinistral   Author's Homepage   Email sinistral   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got out today to do some shooting. I finally got my BUIS and my red dot zeroed with some American Eagle XM193, with enough M855 ball and M856 tracers left over to do some serious shooting. All of that ammo performed quite reliably. I had 80-100 rounds of Tula steel cased .223 that I've had sitting around for a few months, and let me tell you, I was not impressed. After each shot, the bolt would fail to extract the empty cartridge, which had stuck itself tight inside the chamber. On the rare occasion the shell casing did exract AND eject, the next round would fail to strip from the magazine, and the bolt would pass over it and get stuck halfway. I shot the brass cased ammo both before and after the Tula stuff, and only the Tula performed poorly. I bought the Tula mainly to give it a try...at 25 cents a round, it's worth trying out. After today, though, I know that at 25 cents a round, it's not worth buying again.

--------------------
“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace”
-Thomas Paine

Posts: 291 | From: OR | Registered: Nov 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
OLM-Medic
Member # 4341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OLM-Medic   Email OLM-Medic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is good stuff. It causes the occasional jammage in most guns but its great for the range.

What kind of AR-15?

--------------------
"Remember that your adversary's desire to live is usually more powerful than whatever ammunition your are carrying in your firearms. Plan accordingly." -tire iron

Posts: 731 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
sinistral
NCO Contributor
Member # 4609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sinistral   Author's Homepage   Email sinistral   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a Kaiser Defense lower, an FNH upper with a colt 20" chrome lined 1x7 twist barrel and a BCM bolt and a tapco stock kit.

--------------------
-Thomas Paine

HARBINGER
Member # 5152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HARBINGER   Email HARBINGER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mix a few rounds in your mags for training purposes.

--------------------
Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm, CXLIV

Posts: 630 | From: Eastern NC | Registered: May 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
sinistral
NCO Contributor
Member # 4609

I already do that with dummy rounds. But yeah, I have one more mag full, so i'll do that next time I go.

--------------------
-Thomas Paine

sharpstick
Member # 2650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharpstick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seem tula do the very same thing in bravocompany ,colt, and other quality AR15s. At this point tula is the only ammo i will not buy, the wolf wpa never misses a lick but the tula is something else.

Thats just the 223 stuff, I run the tula 40cal all the time and its not very smooth but always functions

Posts: 792 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HARBINGER
Member # 5152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HARBINGER   Email HARBINGER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw this at Wal-Mart today bought 6 boxes 120 rounds loaded 2 magazines with tula only. 2 magazines with federal and mixed up 3 more magazines with loose rounds and the tula. Loose rounds are wolf, winchester, federal, and ? I'm going to shoot it tomorrow, using BushMaster. Only ammo I've bought lately I won't buy again is brown bear 308 win. Primers are tough.

--------------------
Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm, CXLIV

Posts: 630 | From: Eastern NC | Registered: May 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
OLM-Medic
Member # 4341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OLM-Medic   Email OLM-Medic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharpstick:
I have seem tula do the very same thing in bravocompany ,colt, and other quality AR15s. At this point tula is the only ammo i will not buy, the wolf wpa never misses a lick but the tula is something else.

Thats just the 223 stuff, I run the tula 40cal all the time and its not very smooth but always functions

Tula is said to be the company that makes ammo for Wolf. It's all the same stuff.

--------------------
"Remember that your adversary's desire to live is usually more powerful than whatever ammunition your are carrying in your firearms. Plan accordingly." -tire iron

Posts: 731 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
SBL
Member # 3900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SBL   Author's Homepage   Email SBL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It almost seems that the higher-end AR rifles are more picky about ammo.

I've watched probably a few thousand rounds of Tula ammo cycle through various pistols and rifles with few problems. However, I have seen the occasional FTE, FTF, and even a dud primer.

Just remember that Tula makes cheap Russian steel-cased ammo. Com-bloc firearms were designed from the git-go to use cheap Russian steel-cased ammo. See a trend here?

--------------------
On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.

Posts: 4316 | From: Central Virginia; VIM | Registered: Jan 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
sharpstick
Member # 2650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharpstick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OLM-Medic:
quote:
Originally posted by sharpstick:

Tula is said to be the company that makes ammo for Wolf. It's all the same stuff.
Not the WPA, the Black box wolf is the same but the WPA is not I think its made in bellaruse or something like that
Posts: 792 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HARBINGER
Member # 5152

First mag 30 rounds tula 2 ftf. Second mag mix 1 fte (couldn't tell if wolf or tula.) Third mag 30 rds federal all good.. Fourth and fifth mags mixed 3 ftf total. Sixth mag 30 rds federal 1 fte. Seventh mag 30 rounds tula 2 fte 3 ftf. Mix mags I took 40 rnds tula 60 loose rnds mixed them up loaded 3 mags. That leaves 2 boxes tula dumped into loose round box.

Not bad I'd train with it, won't buy it to store.

--------------------

Shepherd
Member # 4852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shepherd   Author's Homepage   Email Shepherd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my results with steel cased ammo. Monarch - Tumbles and keyholes targets. Tula/Wolf - Failure to eject. Turns out that the steel cased stuff wasn't expanding in the chamber allowing residue to build up around the case, turn hard, and lock the casing in the chamber. I sold all my steel cased ammo at a gun show and only buy American Eagle/Federal brass cased. I have never had a failure to fire/extract since...except when my hammer pin broke. I fixed that with a KNS trigger/hammer pin kit.

--------------------
That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government,...

Posts: 30 | From: West Texas | Registered: Mar 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
OLM-Medic
Member # 4341

Its good stuff for plinking. I would never use this for SHTF though.

Funny thing is my Bushmaster AR-15 would always have fte and other jams with wolf/tula but a couple thousand rounds later and it runs smoothly.

I shot 700 rounds (in a 2-3 hour timeframe) of Tula and maybe 3 FTE's. Compared to in the past when every couple rounds it would FTE.

--------------------

D308cat
NCO Contributor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D308cat   Author's Homepage   Email D308cat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(QUOTE) "Turns out that the steel cased stuff wasn't expanding in the chamber allowing residue to build up around the case" I just put the first 40 rds of Tula steel case 308 through my bolt action HOWA at 2 & 300 yrds,some fair groups and point of aim did not change,Cycled through VERY smoothly but I did notice the cases allowed blowby around the neck because they failed to expand in the chamber which would allow carbon build up at a much faster rate. OK for the range or in a pinch,But steel cases rust much faster than brass ones corode,So at 5.99 to 6.99 a box I will stock for range use ,and store the brass cased Nato for field use. My 2 cents SEMPER FI

--------------------
PSALM 144:01 Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle---

Posts: 721 | From: High Desert | Registered: Nov 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.