A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Weaponry » Ammunition » Run on 5.56 and 223 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Run on 5.56 and 223
10th Amendment
Member # 11512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 10th Amendment   Email 10th Amendment   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else notice this AR caliber flying off the shelves. My normal outlets for purchase are all out completely.

--------------------
States Rights

Posts: 73 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Dec 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
tire iron

Member # 155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tire iron   Email tire iron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is going to get worse - and in fact may never ever ever get better.

cheers

tire iron

--------------------
An amateur practices something until he gets it right - a pro practices something until he can't do it wrong.
My Schools: http://www.acpsllc.com
http://utahguntraining.com
Utah Gun Training

Posts: 3425 | From: utah | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to 1994 reloaded.

I checked a couple of sources I buy from.

Ammo and magazines...GONE. What little they have left is rapidly going up on price.

Posts: 15962 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
OLM-Medic
Member # 4341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OLM-Medic   Email OLM-Medic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is insane. Even Wolf is completely sold out almost everywhere and what is still around has just about doubled in price.

--------------------
"Remember that your adversary's desire to live is usually more powerful than whatever ammunition your are carrying in your firearms. Plan accordingly." -tire iron

Posts: 731 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a betting man, I would say that the situation is temporary. The whole idea of on-time supply in the retail industry means that few, if any, suppliers have much incentive to handle any sort of spike in sales, so any spike in sales will clean the shelves off.

If you have less than 30 rounds, you are combat ineffective and functionally out of any but the most desperate fight, which would likely end in your death and or capture if it is against a determined enemy. Your priorities are to escape, evade, get to a friendly area or better supplies. Do not under these circumstances consider yourself a potential combatant. Even the likely amount of ammo you would obtain from a successful ambush of enemy personnel is likely to be insufficient to sustain you in a firefight with a responding force. It is not 1867 any more, and 30 rounds in today's tactical environment will sustain you maybe 15 seconds of enemy contact. 30 seconds against a determined adversary will result in your expected demise. You might as well sell, barter, bury, cache or abandon your rifle and take your chances on not appearing as a combatant.

If you have less than 120 rounds, then ammunition acquisition needs to be your highest prepping priority. Skip meals, walk or ride a bike to work instead of buying gas. Barter away other gear or supplies if you have to, but get more ammo. If you are engaged in armed hostilities, then all other mission priorities are to be aborted in favor of obtaining sufficient supplies of ammunition. If you have more guns than this much ammo, then you need to be realistic about considering selling or trading out one of the guns for a better supply of ammo for those you expect to be keeping.

The general idea is that if you get below around a 240 round combat load worth of ammo per rifle, it is time to stop training with live ammo. You would also have to adjust any tactics to restrict ammo waste and to attempt any possible recovery of ammo after enemy contact. Consider shopping/barter, acquisition to be a high priority.

At below 500 rounds, your training should be limited to verifying zero, testing your magazines, and basic position shooting. At the most, firing maybe some double taps here and there. No fast fire mag dumps at all. No full auto or use of those slide fire stocks except to verify function. Recovery of additional ammunition after enemy contact is not a critical priority but should be done when and where it does not otherwise critically threaten the mission but some risk/work in ammunition recovery is justified.

At below 1000, rounds, you can do a little bit of dynamic training, but only under optimum conditions. You should start rationing ammo usage at this point and no usage should be considered "recreational". Recovery of ammunition after enemy contact should only be attempted if it is not particularly dangerous and not threatening the success of other mission priorities.

At 1000-1500 rounds per weapon, you can still afford to do some dynamic and rapid fire training, maybe recreational gaming.

If you have 1500-2K rounds per weapon, you can still afford to do some dynamic training, recreational shooting, rapid fire and maybe even ammo trading.

2K-5K per long gun (service rifle type), you should expect to be able to plan for a protracted battle without resupply being a major worry. You should also be capable of keeping an edge on your skills with at least some allocation for dynamic training. If you have this much ammo per service rifle at the beginning of a ban, and cache it with the service rifle, then you don't really have much to worry about for resupply and ought to be looking into other priorities and capabilities anyway, not obsessing about ammo prices or shortages.

At over 5K rounds, you are done shopping and recovering ammunition after enemy contact is not a priority at all.

Recovery after enemy contact would mean scanning the area for any partial magazines that may have been dumped during mag changes, ammo supplies discarded or left by incapacitated personnel, possible loot from enemy supplies, or that which can be grabbed from your own supplies before moving to a new position and abandoning, cache, or destruction of what remains.

[ 12-19-2012, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: Breacher ]

--------------------
Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.

Posts: 6705 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo
Member # 4428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leo   Email Leo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None to speak of around here. All sold out. Folks should have woke up earlier and got on the stick.

Out here

--------------------
Fight the fight, Endure to win!

Posts: 968 | From: A 127 Btn 10 FF | Registered: Aug 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConSigCor   Email ConSigCor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Online retailer Cheaper Than Dirt!, one of the world’s largest sporting goods stores and a top online gun distributor, has suspended sales of firearms as of Tuesday.

What a puss

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/top-online-gun-retailer-suspends-sales-of-firearms-effective-immediately_12182012

Posts: 15962 | From: A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
concealed38
Member # 11229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for concealed38   Email concealed38   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe CTD had to suspend until they can catch up. I may be wrong but I dont think its for any other reason than being covered up with new orders.

--------------------
TGIF - Today God is First

Posts: 12 | From: Liberty Hill, TX | Registered: Dec 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

I now believe that to be the case. Contacted CTD and they said they'd been overwhelmed with orders for guns and ammunition. Claimed they had never seen anything like it.
Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember when this did happen in the 1990s. The primer famine, low supplies of 5.56. Then by the late 1990s we were back to $99 cases of Wolf, $149 cases of surplus, everyone was getting a FAL clone by the 2000-2001 period because of the availability of $129 cases of NATO Milsurp 7.62.

5.56 ammo production has been ramped up due to the war effort, and with the Iraq pullout it was hitting store shelves almost in military packaging. I see this situation as temporary.

--------------------

Posts: 6705 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
10th Amendment
Member # 11512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 10th Amendment   Email 10th Amendment   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ratworxs firearm sales are over 400 per their website...I am glad Americans are taking notice. I ahve friends coming to me for advice on what kind of AR to get etc. I give them the same advice I found here from Tire Iron in regards to AR. But right now most outlets are sold out!

--------------------
States Rights

Posts: 73 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Dec 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

quote:
Originally posted by 10th Amendment:
Ratworxs firearm sales are over 400 per their website...I am glad Americans are taking notice. I ahve friends coming to me for advice on what kind of AR to get etc. I give them the same advice I found here from Tire Iron in regards to AR. But right now most outlets are sold out!

Production will ramp up right after the holidays. They always turn it down in November and put people on short hours in December. The car industry does the same thing, in fact a lot of the manufacturing sector does. November-December are shutdown months for retooling and maintenance.

The way US law works, bills can fast track only so fast. Any 911 conspiracy theorist/truther will know that even the USA Patriot Act which practically set a record on how quickly it was passed, signed and enacted took around a month and a half, and that's with the entire thing having been sitting there already written.

That puts us into mid-February for the shit to hit the fan. Fiscal cliff, Obamacare taxes, new gun control law.

A hell of a lot of lowers can be made in one month and I would have some people talking to the machine shops right now. The manufacturers were running 24/7 shifts leading up to the final enactment of the 1994 gun bans, and if I remember correctly, there were a few months between it passing the senate and it going into effect.

Magpul, Troy industries and others use regular resins in their manufacturing processes, so they should be able to ramp up magazine production in order to meet demand. We have also had a period of no required markings on pistol mags, so in theory, it opens the door right back up for anyone to make hicap mags for any current model gun and claim that it was "preban".

The registration and ban on private sales also has a time factor to it, just like it did in CA. I think they enacted it in 1990, but everyone knew that as long as you had a gun older than a 1990 model and the last person to buy it through an FFL had bought it prior to the cutoff date, it could still be traded around privately and nobody would be the wiser.

Someone who reloads can maybe correct me on this, but I have been under the impression that if .223/556 factory ammo ever goes over $450 per 1000, it becomes worthwhile for just about anyone with a Dillon 650 to go into business making handloads out of scavenged government range brass.

The guns most in danger of being useless with an ammo cutoff are the AKs since the vast majority of ammo in circulation is berdan primed, but then when you start looking at buck a bullet, it starts to get worthwile to knock out those old primers by hand with one of the special two prong tools.

--------------------

ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

Firearms Supplier Sells More Than Three Years Worth Of Magazines In Just Three Days

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/firearms-supplier-sells-more-three-years-worth-magazines-just-three

Wally
Member # 15173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Email Wally   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't even been able to find Tulammo in Walmart. One local gun shop had some 75gr hollow point and a few other over priced 55gr. I did grap some 75gr. I've been wanting to try it.

--------------------
x

Posts: 10 | From: St. Louis area | Registered: Dec 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
Imagrunt

Member # 563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imagrunt   Author's Homepage   Email Imagrunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
I haven't even been able to find Tulammo in Walmart. One local gun shop had some 75gr hollow point and a few other over priced 55gr. I did grap some 75gr. I've been wanting to try it.

If you have a 1x7 or 1x8 barrel twist, 75 grain is the way to go!

At Tire Irons' recommendation, I bought some 69 grain ammo for my 1x9, and it is superb!

At this point however, it appears that any ammo obtained at a reasonable price should be snatched up!

Everyone I have conversed with thus far says that this gun and ammo run is totally unprecedented in terms of demand, and yes Cheaper Than Dirt shut down firearms sales for a few days so that they could alter their order processing system due to demand backlogs.

--------------------
I would gladly lay aside the use of arms and settle matters by negotiation, but unless the whole will, the matter ends, and I take up my battle rifle, and thank God that He has put it within my grasp.

Audit Fort Knox!

Posts: 3469 | From: Philistine Occupied CA | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

http://www.prisonplanet.com/gun-frenzy-photos-show-how-quickly-stores-across-the-nation-are-selling-out-%E2%80%9Clines-out-the-door%E2%80%9D.html
Texas Resistance
Member # 1582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Texas Resistance   Author's Homepage   Email Texas Resistance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imagrunt:
[QUOTE]...At Tire Irons' recommendation, I bought some 69 grain ammo for my 1x9, and it is superb!

At this point however, it appears that any ammo obtained at a reasonable price should be snatched up!

Standard mill spec. 55 grain ammo has more velocity and thus is more destructive than the heavier weight bullets. The tiny hardened steel penetraters in the 69 grain bullets do not have enough mass to help much with penetration. So I would stay with the cheaper 55 grain bullets.

--------------------
www.TexasMilitia.Info “Seek out and join a lawful Militia or form one in your area. If you wish to remain Free you will have to fight for it...because the traitors will give us no choice in the matter” William Cooper

Posts: 2562 | From: Angelina County, TX | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
tire iron

Member # 155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tire iron   Email tire iron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Texas Resistance - you are thinking of the 62 grain M855 ammo. And you are right - it is NOT worth buying. MUCH better off with the 55 grain stuff.

However - it is good to keep some of the 69 grain and heavier for longer range work. It works out beyond where the 55 peters out.

The 75 and 77 grain stuff is working out to 700 meters.

cheers

tire iron

--------------------
An amateur practices something until he gets it right - a pro practices something until he can't do it wrong.
My Schools: http://www.acpsllc.com
http://utahguntraining.com
Utah Gun Training

Posts: 3425 | From: utah | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
10th Amendment
Member # 11512

I think the government will try to limit the production or import of AR and AK rounds either through taxation or outright production controls.

--------------------
States Rights

OLM-Medic
Member # 4341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OLM-Medic   Email OLM-Medic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tire iron:
Texas Resistance - you are thinking of the 62 grain M855 ammo. And you are right - it is NOT worth buying. MUCH better off with the 55 grain stuff.

However - it is good to keep some of the 69 grain and heavier for longer range work. It works out beyond where the 55 peters out.

cheers

tire iron

I'm just a dumb shooter, so I don't know all of this stuff, but how about some advice for switching between different loads?

If I am zeroed for M193 but I want to use 77gr handloads for long range accuracy, I would definitely have some POI differences. What's your advice for this?

--------------------
"Remember that your adversary's desire to live is usually more powerful than whatever ammunition your are carrying in your firearms. Plan accordingly." -tire iron

Posts: 731 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Vader
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lord Vader   Email Lord Vader   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OLM-Medic:
quote:
Originally posted by tire iron:

cheers

tire iron

I'm just a dumb shooter, so I don't know all of this stuff, but how about some advice for switching between different loads?

If I am zeroed for M193 but I want to use 77gr handloads for long range accuracy, I would definitely have some POI differences. What's your advice for this?

Yes there will be differences how great the differences will depend on a lot of factors.

Ammo is like paint or Camera Film different Batches or Lots will not always be consistent and can and usually does produce as far as Paint or Film a slight difference in color and as to Ammo at least a slight difference in POI.

When I bought Ammo by the Case if, purchasing more then one Case at the same time, I always ask for the Cases to be from the same Lot Number.

And when buying film by the Case I make sure it is from the Same Batch and I then test one roll so I know what the Color Balance and exact sensitivity to light and Latitude is.

What you should do if you really feel you must switch between loadings is to use two Sights as in Scopes. One Scope zeroed for one Loading and the other Scope zeroed for the other Loading.

Since it seems you want the 77gr for long range Zero the Iron Sights for m193 and use a Scope Zeroed for the 77gr.

You can also remember the settings for each load and then reset your sights for the loading you are currently using, but it would be very easy to Fu*ck up if you did it that way.

Another thing if the difference is not very large between the M193 and the 77gr at lets say 100yd then you can just set the Sights for the 77gr and live with difference at 100yd.

The best of all solutions is to just decide on one round and stay with it. If you can afford it I would just use the 77gr and forget about the m193.

And since you intend to Handload the 77gr the Brass, Bullets, Powder and Primers should all be from the same lots. And your loading should be consistent from day to day.

--------------------
VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)

Posts: 3823 | From: Trapped in Rhode Island | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
OLM-Medic
Member # 4341

My setup is EoTech 1x with backup irons. I have so much M193 and there is no way I could afford enough 75-77 gr to stock up on AND practice with. I'm just starting handloading too, so its not a big option for me yet as I haven't even shot my first loads. Once I get some experience and try out some heavier gr loads that could chance, but I still will be using factory ammo for SHTF only.

On the horizon I may end up with another rig dedicated for more precision anyway. I can do good work with 1x red dot up to decent ranges, but I wouldn't mind being more precise.

--------------------

okietwister
Member # 4738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okietwister   Email okietwister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found some 5.56 rounds but this is BS. A local shop I get some things from has now put out a few cases for sale again. The current marked price, $1.00 per round, $1000 per case, they said they would sale them per round if needed.
We knew this was about to happen, glad I got prepared long before now.

--------------------
I WILL DEFEND MY FREEDOMS & LIBERTIES AGAINST ANY THREAT BOTH FOREIGN & DOMESTIC, AT ANY COST, SO HELP ME GOD!!!

Posts: 79 | From: A Co 119th Bat 46th FF | Registered: Jan 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

http://www.gunbroker.com/Rifle-Ammunition/BI.aspx?Keywords=5.56&SearchType=1&Sort=5&PageSize=75

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

Hawk45
MODERATOR Officer Contributor
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawk45   Email Hawk45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a gun show this weekend and saw 2000 rounds sold in bags of 100 for $150 a bag! It ALL SOLD.

Dealer told me this was his going out of buisness sale as he could get no more for at least a year for any amount of money. This is a full time ammo dealer who buys 1 million+ rounds a year! Same thing is happening with 308, 45acp, 9mm, 7.62x39 and even 22lr.

Look for reloading components to go up next!

Posts: 2646 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimber_45
Member # 4076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimber_45   Email Kimber_45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called five walmarts and an Academy sports store yesterday looking for 9mm FMJ. None
Posts: 154 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Apr 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis K
Member # 13321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis K   Email Dennis K   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is very disturbing news to hear!
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk45:
I went to a gun show this weekend and saw 2000 rounds sold in bags of 100 for $150 a bag! It ALL SOLD.

Dealer told me this was his going out of buisness sale as he could get no more for at least a year for any amount of money. This is a full time ammo dealer who buys 1 million+ rounds a year! Same thing is happening with 308, 45acp, 9mm, 7.62x39 and even 22lr.

Look for reloading components to go up next!

--------------------
Back in Kentucky and glad to be back in my mountains!

Posts: 74 | From: Eastern Kentucky | Registered: May 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
ConSigCor
Administrator

Member # 7

quote:
Originally posted by Kimber_45:
I called five walmarts and an Academy sports store yesterday looking for 9mm FMJ. None

Saw the same thing here. People were standing in line at the local wally worl with credit cards in hand.

They were sold out...not even any shotgun shells or 38 in stock. Everything was cleaned out.

--------------------
"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861

DONINOHIO
Member # 11451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DONINOHIO   Author's Homepage   Email DONINOHIO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just bought 1000rds of 223 tula at 350.00 with shipping at cheaper than dirt, just shipped out today

--------------------
DON

Posts: 15 | From: N.E. OHIO | Registered: Dec 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Texas Resistance
Member # 1582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Texas Resistance   Author's Homepage   Email Texas Resistance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will just conserve ammo and bide my time. These prices are outrageous. The price will be coming down again after the Obomination's B.S. is put down.

--------------------
www.TexasMilitia.Info “Seek out and join a lawful Militia or form one in your area. If you wish to remain Free you will have to fight for it...because the traitors will give us no choice in the matter” William Cooper

Posts: 2562 | From: Angelina County, TX | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
treadnot
Member # 4194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treadnot   Email treadnot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such shortages have popped up from time to time, and help to illustrate a major vulnurability for all militia groups.

While many of us have signifigant personal munition stocks, if it ever did come to a rebellion the amunition stocks of those few of us who are prepared would not be able to keep forces in the field stocked for long. For every one of us who has 10,000 rounds or more on hand there are hundreds with less than 100 rounds at their disposal. Many of these wil be looking ot us for both leadership and supplies.

We also have no friendly or sympathetic nations with a common border to keep us resupplied. Those of us who have individualy or in groups built reloading/manufacturing capibility are ahead of the curve but even we are vulnarable to chemical shortages for primer and powder.

For most of my life I had heard that the second ammendment is our line in the sand. If this is to be the last straw that wakes us up the tyrany of this government, I fear that it has come too late.

Posts: 18 | From: pa | Registered: May 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Archangel1
NCO Contributor
Member # 12498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archangel1   Email Archangel1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is never too late. It may take much effort to fix, but it is never too late.

--------------------
"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always Bad Men." Lord Actin 1887

I fear we live in evil times...

Posts: 737 | From: West | Registered: Feb 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pericles
Member # 4003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pericles   Author's Homepage   Email Pericles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by treadnot:
Such shortages have popped up from time to time, and help to illustrate a major vulnurability for all militia groups.

While many of us have signifigant personal munition stocks, if it ever did come to a rebellion the amunition stocks of those few of us who are prepared would not be able to keep forces in the field stocked for long. For every one of us who has 10,000 rounds or more on hand there are hundreds with less than 100 rounds at their disposal. Many of these wil be looking ot us for both leadership and supplies.

We also have no friendly or sympathetic nations with a common border to keep us resupplied. Those of us who have individualy or in groups built reloading/manufacturing capibility are ahead of the curve but even we are vulnarable to chemical shortages for primer and powder.

For most of my life I had heard that the second ammendment is our line in the sand. If this is to be the last straw that wakes us up the tyrany of this government, I fear that it has come too late.

While our logistics suck, so does everybody else's. People forget the .mil ran out of 5.56 in 2005 and had to buy from the Israelis. My calculations are that they have a 8 month supply currently, and if full mobilization of Guard and Reserve, have less than 120 rounds per soldier. They will give the REMFs 30 or 60 rounds and concentrate the rest in the line units, but that just buys some time for a few engagements.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson

www.dallascitytroop.org

Posts: 951 | From: TX - DAL | Registered: Sep 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
Flick
Member # 2813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flick   Email Flick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and gives us all the more incentive to make every shot count. Tactics.

--------------------
There is no longer a U.S. Constitution. Appeal to it no more. There is now only liberty or slavery.

Posts: 1312 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingPatriot
Member # 5038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingPatriot   Email FlyingPatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...once again, ROGER THAT.
Posts: 104 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Apr 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
10th Amendment
Member # 11512

Even .22LR is hard to find...the only thing I still see on shelves is expensive 20 round high defensive rounds.

--------------------
States Rights

Texas Resistance
Member # 1582

Ammo is still trickling in at Walmart. You just have to be right there when they set it out. For a small bribe a low paid Walmartian just might phone you when he sets it out. But I would rather buy in bulk over the internet with a debit card instead.

--------------------

Breacher
Member # 1119

I did not look when I was at wallyworld tonight, but last week they still had some, just the costly hollowpoint stuff.

I think that whatever .223 you happen to be sitting on right now is it for a while. I am starting my video series on airsoft training, which is going to be getting a whole lot more relevant over the next several months since just about nobody will be doing high round count live fire training unless they are rich folk or doing it on the taxpayer dime.

--------------------

HARBINGER
Member # 5152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HARBINGER   Email HARBINGER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumors of walmart no longer selling ammo. Here's the latest rebuttal I for one think they buckled under.

http://mobile.wnd.com/2013/01/walmart-responds-to-suspended-ammo-story/

--------------------
Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm, CXLIV

Posts: 630 | From: Eastern NC | Registered: May 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingPatriot
Member # 5038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingPatriot   Email FlyingPatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...they did, just like everyone else has.
Posts: 104 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Apr 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
10th Amendment
Member # 11512

I have notice my usual online suppliers of ammo seem to be restocking common calibers like 9mm, 45 acp and 5.56. For instance Luckygunner.com has PMC in 5.56 in stock with quantities in the hundreds but wanting $1 a round. I guess they just want to charge what the current market will bear. I for one will not pay those prices.

--------------------
States Rights

PistolwhipPunk
NCO Contributor
Member # 4920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PistolwhipPunk   Email PistolwhipPunk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try gunbot.net they list the ammo price and availability from a number online suppliers.
Posts: 26 | From: eastern seabord | Registered: Mar 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
AZrubicon556
Member # 13992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZrubicon556   Email AZrubicon556   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gave up on the big stores where the 5.56 flies off the shelf like a Black Friday sale. Sticking to the smaller mom and pop places has kept me we'll stockked

--------------------
Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference

Posts: 7 | From: Central AZ | Registered: Aug 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

It's bad. The prices in stores has settled out at $25 per box. At $25 per box, it stays on the store shelves. Under that, it gets snapped up by people waiting in line.

I would not even be out training with live ammo at those prices, and to be entirely honest, not buying either.

I think this whole thing is already in "hook a buddy up mode". Redistribute ammo among your guys at fair value, with the understanding nobody is asking for a hookup with the intent of just flipping it for profit.

I am now at 100% airsoft for training purposes.

There are two ways this thing goes:

1: Wait it out until prices get significantly lower.

2. Hook buddies up with existing supplies, and start scouting for opportunities to snag supplies from hostiles and or sympathizers.

[ 05-03-2013, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Breacher ]

--------------------

D308cat
NCO Contributor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D308cat   Author's Homepage   Email D308cat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First time in 4 months I found some Tula 7.62X39 at Wallmart, had 6 boxes at like $5.49 a box, I tried to buy all 6 but they would only sell me 3(new policy) so I had the clerk page my wife and she bought the other 3. Oh well, Six more mag loads then I had before, What a pain in the patooty. SEMPER FI

[ 05-04-2013, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: D308cat ]

--------------------
PSALM 144:01 Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle---

Posts: 721 | From: High Desert | Registered: Nov 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
AZrubicon556
Member # 13992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZrubicon556   Email AZrubicon556   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, $25 a box is madness. Scottsdale Gun Club had PPU M193 for 9.99 a box last time I made the trip if that helps any local AZ folk (limit 3 boxes per day)

--------------------
Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference

Posts: 7 | From: Central AZ | Registered: Aug 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudy
Moderator NCO Contributor
Member # 1967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudy   Author's Homepage   Email Rudy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cabelas had 7.62x39 for 5.99 a box on Friday with a couple hundred boxes on the shelf.

Another store had Winchester White box for $15.00 a box and another brand was 9.00.

Both stores had several hundred boxes of each and at least 3 different brands. Sales were limited to 3 boxes total though at both stores.

The ammo situation seems to be opening up.

When the price gets back in line with where it was earlier, I'm stocking up again.

--------------------
Rudy out
"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is no longer our friend."

Posts: 2113 | From: 43BN-37FF | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Folcwine01
Member # 4422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Folcwine01   Email Folcwine01   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How hard would it be to sell consistently 325 cases of ammo a month?

--------------------
Folcwine

Posts: 378 | From: Lewis County, WA | Registered: Aug 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
PistolwhipPunk
NCO Contributor
Member # 4920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PistolwhipPunk   Email PistolwhipPunk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not vary, if it's good stuff. what about shipping?
Posts: 26 | From: eastern seabord | Registered: Mar 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

quote:
Originally posted by Folcwine01:
How hard would it be to sell consistently 325 cases of ammo a month?

Price is everything. If you have it cheap, people will find you and word will spread. At "normal" pricing, you would need some high volume regular customers, like shooting schools and shooting ranges, to make sure you meet your monthly baseline cash flow needs.

In a "normal" local environment, I don't think you could move that volume even in a gun friendly metropolitan area.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.