A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » General Discussion » Veteran's Forum » Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl Will Be Charged With Desertion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl Will Be Charged With Desertion
airforce
Administrator Officer Contributor

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NBC News is reporting that Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl will be charged with desertion. Coincidentally, Saturday will mark the seventieth anniversary of Pvt. Eddie Slovik's execution for the same thing.

quote:
Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who was held captive by enemy forces in Afghanistan for five years, will be charged with desertion, a senior defense officials tell NBC News. The officials say the charges could be referred within a week.

According to the officials, the desertion charges would be based on allegations that Bergdahl abandoned his remote outpost in June 2009 to avoid hazardous duty or important service, which are grounds for charges of desertion under the Uniform Military Code of Justice, or UCMJ.

According to one senior official, Bergdahl's actions in Afghanistan go well beyond the lesser offense of AWOL, absent without leave, because he allegedly abandoned his post "in the middle of a combat zone, potentially putting the lives of his fellows soldiers at risk."

The charges will apparently not allege that Bergdahl left with the intent never to return. Bergdahl was reportedly captured by the Haqqani terrorist network in Pakistan. He was released in a prisoner swap for five Taliban commanders held at Guantanamo Bay in May....

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 17176 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of ways to sleaze out of deployment which don't include grandstanding bullshit and walking away from a post.

My National Guard unit had plenty of it from the tough guy law enforcement types.

"My family comes first, sorry, but I will not be joining you guys".

"I have proven what I needed to prove without going to war, you're a nutjob anyway, you will like it there"

Then of course the "medical problems", assclowns bucking for every disability they could while I was scamming every physical I could just to stay in and then went and spent a few grand of my own money for specialized training to deploy as a security contractor, then get thrown out of the program because I "had the wrong friends" (translation, membership at AWRM), all the time, we have guys here who deployed, and were allowed to deploy, but fuckers here in Oregon decided to witch hunt me instead.

Nah, slick move on the government's part to give up the Taliban prisoners just to get a deserter back for prosecution, then bomb the Taliban anyway...

--------------------
Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.

Posts: 6705 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the pay $5 billion to terrorists and exchange 5 terrorist generals for one deserting private!

Then let one hero marine rot in a mexican prison!

I'd like the administration's handling of BOTH investigated!

--------------------
"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it’s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)

Posts: 816 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
Deactivated
Officer Contributor
Member # 861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deactivated   Author's Homepage   Email Deactivated   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bowe and Chelsea will mate and their offspring will become the next POTUS

--------------------
erwy 436 t7u65478u4we6bhp8u5ureuet45ujdb4tyu57uwetr6ukuilkr

Posts: 1806 | From: 6437 457n 64357n5u 79i 57 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breacher   Email Breacher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huskerpatriot:
So the pay $5 billion to terrorists and exchange 5 terrorist generals for one deserting private!

Then let one hero marine rot in a Mexican prison!

I'd like the administration's handling of BOTH investigated!

Investigated? Why? We already know everything we need to know about those incidents.

On taking action. We can't do much about it from our vantage point. We could dig for a few names to widen the net of responsibility, especially to the point of the most well informed presidential advisers who made the actual decisions on which way to push the President on those.

That reservist Sgt should have been released after a weekend, at the most. The way those turnouts were engineered was to "fake out" smugglers, make people falsely think the return to USA lane was in one spot and not the other. If you look at the graphics of the layout it is pretty obvious.

As for 5 Taliban for Bergdahl. I am curious if they are still fighting or if they (and their tribes) are just sitting quietly farming opium while counting their hush money to stay out of the war.

There is another possible "winner" in this though, and that would be some clever people who had possession of those Taliban leaders for a while and secured a series of deals and agreements for heroin exports and distribution as the conflict winds down. An excuse to repatriate them in some manner which "saves face" would be required, hence the "prisoner swap", then if they were not holding up their end of the deal, make a public display of prosecuting Bergdahl to show he actually had very little to do with their "release".

--------------------

Posts: 6705 | From: Western States | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm betting Bergdahl will never be prosecuted. remember when Obama, answering criticisms about the terrorist release, said that Bergdahl had served with "honor and distinction?" I just don't think anyone in the Pentagon is willing to embarrass the commander in chief like that.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 17176 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He needs to be embarrassed! The man reeks to high heaven of corruption, cronyism, incompetence, aragence, Marxism and dirty politics!

--------------------
"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it’s worst, an intolerable one."

Posts: 816 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
Archangel1
NCO Contributor
Member # 12498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archangel1   Email Archangel1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by airforce:
I'm betting Bergdahl will never be prosecuted. remember when Obama, answering criticisms about the terrorist release, said that Bergdahl had served with "honor and distinction?" I just don't think anyone in the Pentagon is willing to embarrass the commander in chief like that.

Onward and upward,
airforce

You mean embarrass the embarrassment in chief? Pretty hard to one up him.

--------------------
"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always Bad Men." Lord Actin 1887

I fear we live in evil times...

Posts: 735 | From: West | Registered: Feb 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

True. But it's not hard to bring a military career to a premature end if you displease the king.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Breacher
Member # 1119

quote:
Originally posted by airforce:
True. But it's not hard to bring a military career to a premature end if you displease the king.

Onward and upward,
airforce

That's a given, but I know guys who were not associated with the Patriot movement at all whose careers were ended on the accusation of sexual harassment from female subordinates three pay grades down.

--------------------

IRONCLAD
NCO Contributor

Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IRONCLAD   Email IRONCLAD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good, it's about time. Leave your post and put others in danger, I have no respect for ya.

Going off what Breacher commented - During State active duty, there were "cops" always getting out of State duty. Now when I was a police Officer, I joined a unit who was deploying just to go over fort he second time. I want to service my state and country and the best way is to serve where I'm needed. Another soldier in the unit I joined was also a police officer and he and I worked great together in all of our missions. So, not all "cops" are bad, but there are some out there to are chicken-shits and some I'd trust my life with.

--------------------
FREEDOM FROM TYRANNY
FREEDOM FROM TAXATION
FREEDOM FOR STATE RIGHTS
FREEDOM FOR SOUTHERN INDEPENDENTS
---------------------------------
RON PAUL- OUR MODERN FOREFATHER!
...............RƎVO˩UTION!...............

Posts: 1211 | From: 071Bn 27FF - Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Breacher
Member # 1119

Sure there were good ones, in everybody else's unit. In California, they were troops like everyone else, and usually pretty decent troops. In Oregon, they were the club, and given promotions and responsibilities way out of whack with their actual military service and achievement levels. The problem I think related to the way the state academy worked.

They had access to a very short and easy parallel command and Intel structure which put them two phone calls from he commanding general while I was blocked from getting even the most basic stuff done at the platoon level.

--------------------

airforce

Member # 523

Why is the Bergdahl still sitting on some general's desk somewhere? I think we all can figure out the answer to that question, but here's a short column by a couple soldiers in his unit:

quote:
On June 30, 2009, in Mest Malak, Afghanistan, Bowe Bergdahl left his unit and deserted the U.S. Army. We know he deserted because we were there when he did it.

We are confident that the overdue report from political and military leaders on Bergdahl's actions, sitting on a general's desk since October, comes to the same conclusion. It has to because the facts are clear.

Whatever the reason is for the late report and confused reporting about whether Bergdahl is set to be charged with desertion, justice is being denied to those of us who were abandoned by a fellow soldier.

The White House ceremony in May to announce the exchange of five senior Taliban detainees from the Guantanamo Bay prison for our former platoon member sparked a national debate on a variety of controversial issues: executive power, mental health care, the War on Terror, prisoners of war, due process and legal justice. It is troubling to us that President Obama and his political team are silencing this needed public debate by not making the release of this report a priority.

Onward and upward,
airforce

airforce

Member # 523

Sgt. Bergdahl will be charged with one count of desertion, and one count of "misbehavior before the enemy."

quote:
...Bergdahl's attorney, Gene Fidell, told CBS News he hasn't seen the charges yet for himself, but Bergdahl had passed along the information earlier Wednesday. The Pentagon is expected to make an official announcement about the charges shortly.

Military officials are going to announce two charges against Bergdahl, his attorney says, including one count of desertion and one count of "misbehavior before the enemy."

Bergdahl's saga gained national attention last year, when in May U.S. officials announced the U.S. Army sergeant had been traded for five Taliban prisoners held in Guantanamo Bay.

That deal proved to be a large source of tension between Congress and the Obama administration, with some congressmen claiming it was illegal.

During the course of its investigation into Bergdahl's disappearance and capture, military officials had already concluded that on the night of June 30, 2009, Bergdahl neatly stacked up his equipment, and walked off his outpost in eastern Afghanistan. Bergdahl's unit established that he had been captured within 30 minutes of his disappearance.

When he was captured, Bergdahl had less than a year of military service and his official performance record was without blemish. However, investigators discovered that the June 2009 disappearance was at least the second time he had wandered off without permission.

Since his release, former fellow servicemen questioned whether Bergdahl was worthy of effort put into securing his freedom., with some claiming six servicemen had died in direct efforts to bring him back.

Some of Bergdahl's writing was released after the prisoner exchange, and critics seized on it as proof he had deserted because of how much he talked about being disillusioned with America's mission in Afghanistan.

In July of last year, further questions were raised when a photo of Bergdahl emerged, showing him smiling with Badruddin Haqqani, a now-deceased senior commander for the Haqqani network, a notorious terrorist group based in Pakistan....

Onward and upward,
airforce

Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

We need an investigation into the negotiations that led to this, and if laws were violated!

--------------------

airforce

Member # 523

Why Bowe Bergdahl Matters, a short article by Erick Erickson, hits the nail on the head.

quote:
Barack Obama traded five Taliban soldiers for Bowe Bergdahl. Despite State Department statements to the contrary, we know at least one of those Taliban headed back out to kill Americans.

But the Bergdahl situation matters at a different level than that. It matters because the White House, when confronted by who Bergdahl (was), sought to smear the people who pointed out he was a deserter instead of dealing with reality. The smears included attacking honorable American soldiers who dared to point out their colleague was a deserter.

Megyn Kelly had Bergdahl’s fellow soldiers, Evan Buetow, Cody Full, Gerald Sutton, and others, on her television show shortly after the news of the Bergdahl trade. Kelly and the soldiers came under withering attacks from the left and people inside the Obama Administration.

Deputy Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Brandon Friedman, suggested the soldiers were psychopaths.

Barack Obama himself used Bergdahl’s return as a photo op to suggest he was acting as a great Commander in Chief.

Leftwing activists like Brian Beutler, Joan Walsh, Josh Marshall, and others took to their various media platforms to attack conservatives for daring to challenge the prevailing media narrative about Bergdahl’s release being some sort of great triump.

Even now they are spinning rapidly to claim it would have been irresponsible to leave a man behind and that, somehow, no one knew he was a deserter.

And that’s just it. This is why Bergdahl matters. It was known at the time from his fellow soldiers and others what had happened. Instead of dealing with the reality, the White House and its defenders chose to attack the character of American soldiers, members of the media who challenged their narrative, and conservatives.

This is another example of the left being so invested in Barack Obama that they’d deny reality and let terrorists loose rather than admit this should never have happened in the first place.

And the punchline is this. The same President who let loose five Taliban for one deserter and possible would be Taliban is telling us to trust him negotiating with Iran.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

I have read that BHO sweetened the pot even more with $5,000,000,000 to convince them to make the deal.

I'm not hearing this talked about now.

--------------------

Breacher
Member # 1119

Yeah well, what goes around comes around. I figured that shit would eventually settle out. You look at guys like me who got prosecuted for being a little bit too serious about our commitment to emergency and wartime readiness, or blade runner being prosecuted for hooking a troop up with a loaner training rifle and they way this Chicago area cops got that troop to testify against him.

The flip side is that had Bergdahl really gone over to the other side, the reward for his death or return might have been even higher.

[ 12-03-2016, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Breacher ]

--------------------

Lord Vader
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lord Vader   Email Lord Vader   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Huskerpatriot
I have read that BHO sweetened the pot even more with $5,000,000,000 to convince them to make the deal.

Isn't that just a few too many Zeros.

--------------------
VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)

Posts: 3823 | From: Trapped in Rhode Island | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

$5 billion... Yes paid to Qatar to "facilitate the transfer"...

This is no longer talked about.

--------------------

airforce

Member # 523

The House Oversight and Reform Committee (yes, there really is such a committee) is is asking the White House for all documents relating to the prisoner exchange.

quote:
The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee asked the Obama administration Thursday to turn over all reports and documents, including intelligence information, related to last year's exchange of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl for five members of the Taliban.

"It is unclear from the information that has been provided to the Committee and from publicly available reports why the decision was made to exchange Sgt. Bergdahl for the five Taliban members," said the letter, which was addressed to White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough.

On Wednesday, Bergdahl was charged by the military with desertion and misbehavior before the enemy. He was released from Taliban captivity last May after being held as a prisoner of war for five years. In the wake of Bergdahl's release and return to the U.S., fellow soldiers accused him of deliberately walking away from his Afghanistan post and putting the lives of soldiers who sought to find him at risk.

News of the charges against Bergdahl has prompted heavy criticism of the administration in Congress, where lawmakers slammed the White House for transferring the five Taliban detainees from Guantanamo Bay to the Gulf state of Qatar without prior consultation....

Onward and upward,
airforce

Archangel1
NCO Contributor
Member # 12498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archangel1   Email Archangel1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is O begging to be impeached?

--------------------
"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always Bad Men." Lord Actin 1887

Posts: 735 | From: West | Registered: Feb 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Just trying to see what his limits are... He's yet to have found anything he can do that anyone is willing to stand up and stop him... Expect each violation to be one step more egregious than the previous.

--------------------

Archangel1
NCO Contributor
Member # 12498

High crimes and misdemeanors.

--------------------

airforce

Member # 523

I might have been willing to bargain for Sgt. Bergdahl, just so I could have him shot. But if we're just going to throw him in prison, what's the point?

Onward and upward,
airforce

The Answer
NCO Contributor
Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Answer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This situation is just strange.

Something else is going on here.

Who or what is Bergdahl...really.

--------------------
Semper vigilantes, numquam exspectantes

Posts: 549 | From: Somewhere in these blue ridged mountains | Registered: Apr 2009  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

I can see the "Grand Mullah B. Hussein Obama" pardoning the traitor in his last days in office.

--------------------

airforce

Member # 523

Bergdahl's Article 32 hearing is now scheduled for Sept. 17. "Misbehavior before the enemy" is the most serious charge, which could get him life.

quote:
...The military has scheduled an initial court appearance known as an Article 32 hearing for Bergdahl on Sept. 17 at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. The proceeding is similar to a civilian grand jury, and afterward the case could be referred to a court-martial and go to trial.

Misbehavior before the enemy was used hundreds of times during World War II, but scholars say its use appears to have dwindled in conflicts since then. Misbehavior before the enemy cases were tried at least 494 times for soldiers in Europe between 1942 and 1945, according to a Military Law Review article.

Legal databases and media accounts turn up only a few misbehavior cases since 2001 when fighting began in Afghanistan, followed by Iraq less than two years later. By contrast, statistics show the U.S. Army prosecuted about 1,900 desertion cases between 2001 and the end of 2014.

The misbehavior charge is included in Article 99 of the military justice code, which is best known for its use to prosecute cases of cowardice. However, Article 99 encompasses nine different offenses including several not necessarily motivated by cowardice, such as causing a false alarm or endangering one's unit — the charge Bergdahl faces....

Onward and upward,
airforce

airforce

Member # 523

Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl wants Obama to pardon him.

No. Just no. Now if Obama wants to pardon Chelsea Manning, that would be okay.

Onward and upward,
airforce

North Force
Member # 2676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for North Force   Email North Force   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archangel1:
Why is O begging to be impeached?

Impeachment really doesn't matter anymore - Look how it didn't affect team Clinton - it's just a news-whore formality with the corporate fascism we live under, and something for the new hounds to chatter over.

Plus if BoBo was ousted now we would just get the Israel ass kissing Biden.

--------------------
"To achieve One World Government it is necessary to remove from the minds of men their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions and national identification."
~ Brock Chisholm, when director of UN World Health Organization

Posts: 1328 | From: In the Mountains | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

Sgt. Bowie Bergdahl is expected to plead guilty to desertion and misbehavior before the enemy. He is facing five years for desertion, and life for misbehavior.

Onward and upward,
airforce

airforce

Member # 523

Sgt. Bergdahl has officially pleaded guilty to desertion and misbehavior before the enemy. He said he made about a dozen escape attempts, and was tortured during his captivity.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Mexneck
NCO Contributor
Member # 14554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mexneck   Author's Homepage   Email Mexneck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll see if justice was done when sentencing time comes.

--------------------
Well, this is it.

Posts: 325 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Oct 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

Bowe Bergdahl has received a Dishonorable Discharge, but has received NO prison time. In all honesty, I can't say I'm surprised.

Hollywood will make a movie about this guy in 5, 4, 3,...

Onward and upward,
airforce

airforce

Member # 523

This is not unprecedented. Many years ago, Robert R. Garwood was given a dishonorable discharge, but no prison time.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Mexneck
NCO Contributor
Member # 14554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mexneck   Author's Homepage   Email Mexneck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breacher before he left us had it all figured out correctly in the first place,

"There is another possible "winner" in this though, and that would be some clever people who had possession of those Taliban leaders for a while and secured a series of deals and agreements for heroin exports and distribution as the conflict winds down. An excuse to repatriate them in some manner which "saves face" would be required, hence the "prisoner swap", then if they were not holding up their end of the deal, make a public display of prosecuting Bergdahl to show he actually had very little to do with their "release"."

Well ain't that prophetic considering the current opium crisis.

--------------------
Well, this is it.

Posts: 325 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Oct 2012  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.