A Well Regulated Militia Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A Well Regulated Militia » Basic Training » School of the Soldier » My fitness path

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My fitness path
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my effort to increase my physical fitness to my crease my ability to defend my family, survive and contribute to the cause of Liberty... I have been working for the last 1 1/2 years now.

Primarily doing a High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) app called "SWORKIT". I went from 6'4" 265# with a 42"+ waist, to less than 230# and under 38" waist. At first I couldn't do even 5 minutes without feeling like I was about to die! Now I'm plowing through 32 minutes and greatly increasing my reps.

I can't recommend this app enough! I have customized my workout to include exercises that are recommended for hiking and rucking. I have started going on daily 30 minute bike rides primarily for my boys sake, and taking them on weekly 3-4 mile hikes through hills.

Yesterday I donned my ruck (Alice medium on MOLLE frame with cfp90 patrol pack and empty mss carrier) that was only partially loaded... for a 4 mile ruck. Partially loaded it was 22.5#. At first I noticed how the belt shifted most of the feel towards my hips.

3 miles in, and I discovered that the process of rucking works a whole new set of muscles previously untouched by my training. The place that was the sorest, was between the shoulder blades on either side of my spine, but not back muscles... upper core. It could be that my pack is misadjusted. I could have my army reserve brother in law help me with this.

I plan to up my core training and to progressively up both the length of my rucking, as well as the weight of my pack.

Is my line of reasoning correct?

--------------------
"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it’s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)

Posts: 816 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce
Administrator Officer Contributor

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huskerpatriot:
...3 miles in, and I discovered that the process of rucking works a whole new set of muscles previously untouched by my training. The place that was the sorest, was between the shoulder blades on either side of my spine, but not back muscles... upper core. It could be that my pack is misadjusted. I could have my army reserve brother in law help me with this....

A little soreness is expected at first. If it continues, it's a sign of an ill-fitting or misadjusted pack.

How heavy is your pack? When I was at Bad Tolz, the lightest I could make my pack was 85 pounds, and those old Alice packs were pretty miserable. Later, when I was on a Nijmegen Four day March team (100 miles over four days), we all had 40-pound packs, and that made a huge difference.

When I retired from the military, I also retired my Alice pack. There are a number of trekking and expedition packs that, sometimes with a little alteration, are much better than the old packs. I found I could carry 120 pounds with surprising comfort.

For a variety of health reasons (and just plain old age), I don't do any backpacking anymore. If you plan to regularly carry a bunch of gear or supplies, you might look up some serious backpackers and ask them what they recommend.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 17176 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Flight-ER-Doc
Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight-ER-Doc   Email Flight-ER-Doc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did you do the March? I did it in 1979...

--------------------
Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy :)

Posts: 1929 | From: Slipping the surly bonds of earth | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
airforce

Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for airforce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually did it four times, I did it with an Army team in 1978, and I did the civilian version (I had to take leave) in 1979, 1980, and 1981. We probably saw each other!

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posts: 17176 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huskerpatriot   Email Huskerpatriot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just 22.5#.... like I said, it was pretty empty. I'll be looking to adding weight, by filling it over the next few weeks. Today (day after) I'm doing much better. Just working muscles I haven't used before.

I'm pushing 43 years old, and am as fit as I've ever been... though not near as strong as my football years as a teen.

--------------------
"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it’s worst, an intolerable one."

Posts: 816 | From: Omaha Nebraska | Registered: Nov 2013  | Report this post to a Moderator
Huskerpatriot
NCO Contributor
Member # 20208

Took another hike with my boys again today. Again just under 4 miles, but with 29# in the ruck... Not a hint of any shoulder /back/core soreness or fatigue!

Seems rucking is just using some muscle combinations that are little worked by my normal workout routine. I know that 4 miles is not much, but that is the tolerance level of my boys, and a good place to start.

For rucking, there are 3 factors:
-Distance
-Weight
-Speed

Which would you think would be the most important to work on upping first?

--------------------

airforce

Member # 523

I would say distance, but that's just me. I would gradually work the weight up to about 40 pounds. If you can handle that, you can easily increase the weight for shorter distances.

It's pretty hot here. Be sure you're packing enough water. (I used to like Gatorade, but I was hiking longer distances.)

Onward and upward,
airforce

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | A Well Regulated Militia

All information posted on this site is the private property
of the individual who posted the information and AWRM.org,
and may not be reproduced anywhere without permission.
© 2001-2017 AWRM.org All Rights Reserved.